The First Week

The next day Hermione woke me up an hour early, advising, "It would be better to head to the showers before everyone else does."

Then afterward we got dressed and she proposed that we read some of our books, as to get ahead of the class, which I politely declined saying that I would rather read some of my literary novels. Hermione obviously disapproved but, didn't challenge me.

So we both sat in the common room and read out books. I relaxed in the nice armchair I had found, allowing my hair to fall to the ground. Bluebelle cuddling next to me as I did so.

We did this until the other girls returned from the bathrooms. After that, we all went down for breakfast together and then headed for our classes.

There were a hundred and forty-two staircases at Hogwarts: wide, sweeping ones; narrow, rickety ones; some that led somewhere different on a Friday; some with a vanishing step halfway up that you had to remember to jump. Then there were doors that wouldn't open unless you asked politely, or tickled them in exactly the right place, and doors that weren't really doors at all, but solid walls just pretending. It was also very hard to remember where anything was because it all seemed to move around a lot.

In other words, Hermione and I were completely lost on where to go.

Peeves kept annoying us when we were trying to find the right class. I wanted to spray him with water but I knew it would go straight through him. The caretaker Argus Finch would just grumble some nonsense before threatening detention when we asked him for help.

I finally found the Weasley twins, who guided Hermione and me to the right classroom and gave us a few helpful tips on the best secret passageways, but they only helped us with our first class, meaning we were lost for the others.

Once we made it to the classes however, it was all worth it. Learning about the different spells and histories was everything I had ever dreamed of and more. We studied Astrology, Herbology, History of magic, Transfiguration and Charms. I loved Herbology the most but could do without Transfiguration.

Professor McGonagall was still my favorite teacher because I had known her forever, although I hated her class.

"Transfiguration is some of the most complex and dangerous magic you will learn at Hogwarts," Professor McGonagall lectured, while Hermione furiously took notes. I also took notes, making sure to use different inks so it looked pretty. "Anyone messing around in my class will leave and not come back. You have been warned."

After that she transformed her desk into a pig, causing all of us to applaud her skills, eager to learn. Of course at the time, we didn't know we would not be doing anything of the sort. Instead, we took an hours lesson of notes and spent the rest of the class attempting to transform a matchstick into a needle. I hate Transfiguration.

By the end of the lesson, Hermione and I were the only two students to successfully done the spell correctly. Professor McGonagall showed the class how it had gone all silver and pointy and gave Hermione and I smile.