The Return

Once I woke up, I noticed a throbbing pain in my side. I looked down to see that it was fine.

"Good afternoon, Ella," I heard Dumbledore say.

I stared up to see my godfather, smiling down at me. I immediately jumped up, ignoring the pain, "Dumbledore! The Stone! It was Quirrell! He's got the Stone! We have to —"

"Calm yourself, dear, you are a little behind the times," he laughed.

I furrow my eyebrows, "Quirrell does not have the Stone?"

"Ella, please relax, or Madam Pomfrey will have me thrown out."

I smile and nod before waiting for him to explain everything. I then pause, Madam Pomphrey? I look around and see that I am in the medical wing. I was lying on one of the cots that contained the itchy white linen sheets, and my small bedside table filled with treats and get well soon cards.

"Tokens from your friends and admirers," said Dumbledore, beaming proudly.'

"What happened down in the dungeons between you, Harry, and Professor Quirrell is a complete secret, so, naturally, the whole school knows. I believe your friends Mister Fred and Mister George Weasley were responsible for trying to send you a toilet seat" I laugh wishing they had succeeded," No doubt they thought it would amuse you. Madam Pomfrey, however, felt it might not be very hygienic, and confiscated it."

"How long have I been in here?"

"Three days. Mr. Harry Potter, Mr. Ronald Weasley, and Miss Granger will be most relieved you have come round, they have been extremely worried."

"But, the Stone —"

"I see you are not to be distracted. Very well, the Stone. Professor Quirrell did not manage to take it from you. I arrived in time to prevent that, although you were doing very well on your own, I must say."

"You got there? You got Hermione's owl?"

"We must have crossed in midair. No sooner had I reached London than it became clear to me that the place I should be was the one I had just left. I arrived just in time to see Voldemort leave — I feared I might be too late."

"You nearly were, I couldn't have kept Voldemort off the Stone much longer —"

"Not the Stone, Harry and you— the effort involved nearly killed Harry. For one terrible moment there, I was afraid it had. And Voldemort did a number on you. As for the Stone, it has been destroyed."

"Destroyed?" said I blankly. "But your friend — Nicolas Flamel —"

"Oh, you know about Nicolas?" said Dumbledore smiled, sounding quite delighted. "You did do the thing properly, didn't you? Well, Nicolas and I have had a little chat, and agreed it's all for the best."