Chapter 15

Clary sat down in the sand, letting the sea breeze relax her tense shoulders.

She couldn't help but wince as she replayed the memory of what had just happened- the fact that it didn't seem to phase Jace made her more embarrassed.

He seemed so... carefree. Like, way less uptight about situations than he used to be.

Her heart dropped when she realised how much he'd changed during the time he spent  without her.

She supposed she did too but... had it really been so long?

To the point where she couldn't read him anymore?

They used to be so close.

They used to be able to easily read each other, know exactly what the other was thinking, be able to comfort each other without a thought- but now...

Clary had no idea what as going on inside of Jace Herondale's head.

She watched as he relaxed in the sand, the sun gleaming against his white shirt. His golden curls ruffled as the light breeze lapped at them. His eyes were closed, his lashes brushing the tops of his cheeks.

She was used to seeing him like this- or at least was.

She really hated talking about him in the past tense.

She let out a deep sigh, throwing herself back onto the sand. Her cheeks flushed when Jace cracked open an eye, looking at her through his lashes.

He shielded his eyes from the sun, sitting up as he faced her. He raised his brows, silently asking her 'what was that?''.

Clary bit her lip sheepishly, averting her eyes from his intense gaze.
"Just... thinking." Clary stated, shrugging lightly as if it wasn't a big deal.

Jace's brows raised impossibly higher before an easy smirk played at his lips. "Penny for your thoughts?"

"Are you bribing me?" Clary asked incredulously, feigning shock. "Jace- I'm... appalled." She rested a hand over her heart for effect.

Jace rolled his eyes, scooting closer to her as he adjusted the way he was sitting.

The movement caused a small wall of sand to form between them, separating their legs from touching- which Clary was grateful for.

"I'll go first." He offered, digging a penny out from his pocket. He held it up, motioning for her hand.

She hesitantly raised it, watching as he placed it into the palm of her hand. The cool metal didn't stop the spark that shot down her arm as Jace's fingertips brushed against her hand.

She bit her lip as she concentrated on the coin, knowing that if she looked up, she'd blush.

"Okay, go." Jace said, resting his hands on his legs. Clary frowned as she positioned the coin between her thumb and finger, before flicking it into the air.

"Penny for your thoughts?" She asked meekly, hoping she'd gotten the concept right.

Jace caught it easily, smirking lopsidedly as he looked off into space for a split second.

"I'm thinking... that you're thinking about something that I really want to know. Your turn." He flicked it towards her quickly.

"-Hey! No fair-" She was cutoff as the penny flew past her outstretched hand, her reaction times proving to be nonexistent.

She scrambled to dig it out of the sand, grabbing it before holding it up triumphantly.

She squealed as sand rained down on her, falling from her hand in a continuous stream.