Chapter 19

A/N: Even though this wasn't the chapter I planned Clace for, I still hope you enjoy!

Clary hurried down the steps, taking them two at a time as she dashed through the dining room, into the kitchen.

She slid past Helen, who was too busy absorbed in her phone, typing away. She was grinning down at the screen, and Clary muttered an apology as she bumped into her.

Helen didn't seem phased, barely nodding as she slid herself into a stool by the island in the middle of the kitchen.

Clary quickly opened one of the overhead cabinets, grabbing a glass before she turned on the tap, dunking the glass under. She started tapping her foot impatiently- the water seemed to be moving impossibly slow as it filled the glass up.

"Hey, where's the fire?" A voice sounded behind her.

Clary jumped, the glass slipping from her hand and dropping back into the sink. The water flooded down the drain, and Clary almost let out an aggravated scream.

She whirled around, fully prepared to tell whoever it was off until she stopped short, words dying in her mouth as Alec stared down at her.

"Uh... Alec?" Clary stuttered, blinking in surprise.

Alec rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly, nodding slowly. "Yeah, uh... hi. Sorry for scaring you." He said sheepishly and Clary started shaking her head.

"Don't be, I'm just clumsy. Walking danger hazard, you know?" She laughed, hating how strained it sounded to her ears.

Alec gave her a small smile, dropping his hand from his neck as he leaned against the island. He crossed his arms over his chest, sighing deeply before he looked back up at Clary.

"Look, I just wanted to talk to you about Jace." He said finally, shoulders dropping as if the sentence weighed him down.

Clary nodded slowly, worrying if Jace was okay- it had been a while since she left him now, and she hoped his condition hadn't gotten any worse.

"Do you... know him in any way?" Alec asked, scanning her face. His expression was bored and relaxed, but she could see the calculation that was going on behind his eyes.

Clary raised her brows as she braced herself against the counter behind her. "I know him as much as I do the other guests that stay here." She said lightheartedly, laughing a bit as she shrugged.

Alec's eyes narrowed fractionally and he nodded, shrugging as well. "I guess. So he doesn't seem familiar to you- at all?" He prodded, and Clary's heart started thundering a bit faster.

What was this about? Did he know?

Did Jace know?

Clary frowned, palms sweaty as she gripped the marble counter. "Isn't he an actor?" She offered meekly.

Alec sighed, dipping his head momentarily. When he raised it back up, he was smiling, nodding his head with finality.

"Yeah, he is. It didn't seem like you knew, you know? Just wanted to fill you in. Good talk." He smiled once more at her, before turning on his heel and walking away.

Clary released the breath she had been holding, as well as the tight grip she'd had on the counter.

She glanced at Helen, only to realise she'd left the kitchen. She sighed before turning back to the sink.

Her palms hurt as she picked up the cool glass once more, filling it up before walking out of the kitchen.

She scanned the hallway out of the dining room, double checking that Alec wasn't lurking around before she carefully made her way back up the stairs.

What the hell was that about?

                      *                  *                *

"Drink this."

Jace sat up, gently taking the glass out of Clary's hands. She watched as he took a couple of sips, only then sitting down on the bed next to him.

"Thank you." Jace said, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand.

"Are you feeling any better?" Clary asked, chewing on her bottom lip with worry.

Jace nodded, dismissing her with a waving hand. "This isn't the first time it's happened." He explained, and Clary's throat constricted.

"Are you serious? Why haven't you gone to the hospital?!" She exclaimed, gripping his arm hastily, as if she was going to drag him there herself.

Jace clamped his hand over hers, gently guiding her back down into the relaxed position they were in before.

"I'm okay, Clary. Honestly. It's like when you stand up too fast and get dizzy. It's nothing." He squeezed her hand reassuringly, but there was still tension between her brows.

"Hey," Jace said softly, grabbing her chin softly and turning her head until she met his gaze. "I'm okay."

Clary smiled weakly, leaning into his touch. She squeezed his hand back, and Jace smiled.

She blinked, smile dropping suddenly. She jerked back, rolling off of the bed before standing up straight.

"Clary?-" Jace started but she was already backing out of the room, a sad and pained expression painting her features.

"Y-you can rest here for a while. I just... I- I need some air." And with that, the door shut, leaving Jace alone on her bed, staring after her.

                         *                *              *

Clary crossed the hall, bracing herself against the door before she reached up onto the top of its frame. Her hand fumbled around, feeling nothing but air until her fingertips finally felt the familiar cool metal.

She grabbed it, revealing a small black key that she hastily slid into the keyhole. She looked around, scanning the empty hallway before she unlocked it, sliding into the room.

She slipped the key into her back pocket, breathing in the familiar scent of Jonathon's room.

Jace's room. The small voice in her head corrected.

She sighed as she sat on the singular bed, gently smoothing the white sheets as she looked around.

Boxes were stacked up high around her, full of Jace's old belongings. Dates were written on the boxes in marker, showing just how long they'd been together for.

Pictures of him decorated the room, from Polaroid's to frames, they all showed the two of them in some way. Her favourite picture was on the nightstand next to the bed.

Jace was sitting on a bench in the park, reading a book peacefully, Clary had her arms draped around his neck, looking over his shoulder to see what he was reading.

She hadn't known it at the time, but Jace was smiling widely as he read.

He had gifted the picture to her one Christmas, and it was the best surprise she'd ever received.

She picked up the small frame, smiling sadly as she laid back on the bed. She let her fingers gently trace the picture, feeling the first well of tears prick her eyes. 

There wasn't much she could do as the silent tears streamed down her face, clutching the picture to her chest.

Her quiet sobs racked her body as she curled up into a ball, slowly drifting off into a dreamless sleep.

Her last thought was of a certain blonde, merely across the hall to her.