Chapter 28

Clary held Tessa's hand, trying not to wince under the tight hold that it was in.

"Just one more push, you got it!"

She glanced up to see Will on the opposite side of her, holding Tessa's other hand.

Time seemed to have morphed from the time she was standing in the corridor to now, Tessa having gone into labour and preparing to welcome her first child into the world.

"I can see the head! Keep pushing!"

Clary focused back in to watch Tessa's face, screwed up tightly in pain as she panted slightly.

"You're doing amazing, Tess. Keep going." Clary said encouragingly, holding Tessa's shoulder with her free hand.

"I can't." Tessa sighed as she shook her head, dropping it back onto the pillow.

Her chest was rising and falling quickly and a sheen coat of sweat was covering her forehead, evidence of the effort it had taken out of her body.

Will leaned in quickly, pressing his head close to hers. "You're almost there, love. So close." He murmured against her hair.

Clary bit her lip, lump starting to form in her throat as she watched Tessa. She was staring up at Will with wide, scared eyes that scanned his face.

As she continued to stare at him she began to calm down, giving a small nod to Will before she finally screwing her eyes shut.

She gave one last push, causing a little cry to come from the newborn baby.

"Was that?-" Tessa whispered, struggling to raise her head.

Clary nodded rapidly, tears starting to form in her eyes as she held Tessa's head up.

Tessa let out a tiny whimper at the sight of her newborn son being held up and displayed to her, a hand shooting up to cover her mouth.

"He's perfect." She whispered, stretching her arms out as the boy was gently lowered onto her chest.

Will's eyes were wet as he cupped the baby's head, sending a shaky smile to his wife.

He kissed the top of her head, cupping her shoulders into his side as he stared at his son.

"What will we call him?" He said softly, stroking the top of his head.

"James." Tessa whispered, kissing her son on the cheek.

"He's beautiful." Clary said, smiling at the sight of the small family in front of her.

She stepped back as a nurse moved in to clean up the baby, being pushed back near the door of the hospital room.

Clary bit her lip, unsure of whether to leave the family alone in privacy or stay. She smiled once more at the sight of them, chest feeling warm.

Her heart lurched and she knew her decision was made.

She slipped out of the room, quietly shutting the door with a click.

   *   * *

Clary walked slowly down the hall, arms crossed over her chest as she stared at the floor aimlessly.

She knew she should have gone directly to Jace's room after leaving Tessa and Will, but she needed some time alone- away from the hectic things around her.

She enjoyed the silence of the hall, it was late and most patients were either asleep or murmuring quietly behind the doors she passed.

She sat down on an empty chair against the wall, tilting her head back against it and closing her eyes.

She was tired- so tired.

It was easy for her to fall asleep quickly.

...

Clary

Clary...

...

Clary!

                               *           *           *

Clary jumped wide awake, eyes shooting open.

She scanned the hall, unsure of where she was for a moment before it all started creeping back in slowly.

It was morning, and she had slept all the way through the night.

She groaned slightly, cupping the back of her neck as pain seared through it. She tried rotating her head slowly, wincing at the pain.

Jace.

Her eyes widened, stilling her actions. She'd never checked on him last night...

Her heart dropped to her boots as she stood up slowly. She glanced around the empty hall before she broke into a brisk walk towards the opposite side of the hospital.

Idiot. How could you forget to check on him?

She scanned the rooms, starting to sweat as she jogged along beside them.

How could you let this happen to him? Again?

She pressed her mouth into a thin line to suppress the whimper that was threatening to escape.

Are you going to just let him go like the last time?

Is this what the doctor was trying to warn you about?

"No." She muttered, eyes starting to blur with tears.

You did this to him.

You're too late.

"No I'm not. I'm not."

You're too-

Clary let out a cry as she was knocked back, stumbling onto the ground.

"C-clary?"

She looked up to see Isabelle staring down at her in shock, tears streaming down her face.

Clary jumped to her feet, staring at Isabelle with wide eyes.

"Iz? ...Where's Jace? Is he okay?" Clary choked out desperately.

Isabelle's lip quivered as she lowered her eyes to the floor, eyes welling with another round of tears.

"Isabelle," Clary's voice cracked. "Where is he?"

"He's... Clary- it isn't about where he is." Isabelle finally said with a sob.

Clary stared at her, remaining silent as the lump in her throat prevented her from talking.

Isabelle blinked back the tears quickly, grabbing Clary's hand to distract herself. When she gazed back up at Clary, the look in her eyes made her heart drop.

"Clary...he's in a coma."