Chapter 26

"I'm just going to grab a few things from the shop, Mom!" Clary called up the stairs.

"Wait, Clary!" She replied, and Clary listened to her hurried footsteps crossing the hall.

Jocelyn finally appeared at the top of the landing, face flushed from the cleaning that she was doing.

She balanced herself against the brush in one hand, nodding as she held the other hand up to her forehead, trying to calm her flushed state.

"I'll need..." She started, eyes drifting downwards as she thought. "Okay, get me eggs, bacon, bread... and milk, but get the bread from-"

"Blackthorns Bakery." Clary recited, and Jocelyn grinned at her.

"Exactly, thanks dear." She said, before kissing the tops of her fingers quickly and waggling them at her daughter.

Clary rolled her eyes, laughing a bit before turning on her heel towards the door.

She pulled out her phone, dialling Isabelle's number and holding it up to her ear.

"What's up, buttercup?" Her voice rung through, and Clary chuckled as she closed the door, hiding the key under the mat.

"Well, I was just going to ask if you wanted anything-" Clary said as she turned around.

She gasped in terror, phone nearly falling from her hands as she spotted Jace, collapsed on the ground unconscious.

"Jace!" She screamed, sliding to her knee's next to him.

She dropped her phone to the ground, ignoring Isabelle's worried questions as she held Jace's head in her lap.

She picked up the phone, hanging up on Isabelle before dialling 911. Her fingers trembled uncontrollably as she held them to his neck, checking for his pulse.

She let loose a shaky breath of relief as she felt  the steady beat of his heart, nearly sobbing as the responders voice asked what her emergency was.

"M-my boyfriend collapsed outside, I-I don't know how long he was out here, I thought he was just..." her voice broke, a sob escaping as she clamped a hand over her mouth.

"Ma'am, I need you to remain calm. Is he breathing?"

Clary nodded, double-checking his pulse once more. "Y-yes, he is." She croaked, gazing at the house desperately, hoping someone would see her outside and help.

"Has this happened before, Ma'am?"

Clary thought back to their conversation on the bed, nodding once again. "H-he said it happened before... I don't know how many times."

"Can you give me the address?"

Clary bit her lip, holding back another sob that was threatening to escape. She sucked in a deep breath before releasing it slowly, starting to recite her address to the responder.

"Okay, the ambulance will be there straight away. Everything's going to be fine, Ma'am. Try to remain calm and just monitor his breathing."

Clary sobbed uncontrollably as she thanked her and hung up, pleading Jace to wake up.

This wasn't like the last time- he woke up in a matter of seconds- but as she sat next to him now, Clary could tell he had been unconscious for a while.

"Jace." She pleaded, dropping her forehead to his. "Please wake up... please Jace." She clutched his hand in hers, tears dropping to the ground beneath her.

She faintly heard the front door open behind her, before Isabelle shouted; "Clary?! What hap- Oh my God!"

She couldn't help but sob harder as Isabelle came into frame, clutching her brothers shoulders desperately.

"Jace!" She shouted, shaking them. "What happened?!" She screamed, shaking them more violently. "Tell me what happened!"

Clary grabbed her arms, body shaking uncontrollably, "Stop- Isabelle, please. Stop Iz- ISABELLE STOP!" She finally shouted, hauling the girl off of Jace.

Isabelle looked at her with a broken expression, tears starting to pool in her eyes. "W-we have to do something! G-give me your phone- Where's Alec-" She rambled, jumping to her feet.

"I called an ambulance." Clary replied weakly, and Isabelle fisted her hands in her hair.

"J-just wait there with him. Please." Her voice cracked, only hurrying into the house when Clary nodded.

Clary's body shook as she was left alone with Jace once more, slowly turning to face him.

She brushed his hair back from his forehead gently as she started at his expressionless face.

It looked like he was only sleeping, something about that childlike expression causing her heart to lurch in her chest.

She leaned forward, kissing his forehead lightly. She squeezed her eyes shut against the pain, feeling more tears spill from her eyes as she rested her forehead against his once more.

"Jace..." she whispered.

"I love you."