Freedom

Jack felt cooped up now, felt trapped. He knew it was bad, the want to be out of the house, but he couldn't help it.

Sneaking out at night was how it started, Jack easily leaving through the window of his shared room with Emma. He wore his disguise at first, anxiety and nerves only dampening the feeling of freedom somewhat.

It was well past midnight now, the perfect time for jack to sneak out through the window as usual. He left his clothes behind, instead opting to feel the wind rush through his fur as he sprinted through the woods; swapping from two footed to four and back again.

His laughter rang out as the wind picked up speed, sending leaves spiraling to the ground. The amazing smells and sights and sounds, it was amazing to jack!

He continued to bound through the forest, making sure he didn't stray to far from home when he caught sight of an opening in the rocks. Slowing down he examined the entrance before heading within. It was dark and got colder the further he went but he didn't care, curiosity killed the cat but satisfaction brought it back as many said and it did when the back of the cave opened up to a hidden forest.

It was small and just barley brighter then the tunnel he had walked through but the sounds of water was what excited jack most. Following it he came across a river, one that most likely led out to the where his father usually went fishing.

Crouching down where he could see the ripples of the water, jack slowly dunked his hand in. The water was cold, naturally, but felt refreshing along the fur of his hand. It didn't smell polluted either, as the water of the village usually did.

Without realizing it, jack spent hours within the new area, exploring as the sun rise and the forest brightening. Glancing up was what finally made him realize that the time had changed, the sun rising quickly and sending its light through an opening of the caves roof.

With a jolt of fear jack turned, rushing out of the cave and down the tunnel he had walked through hours before. The village would be waking soon, going about their daily routines and jack was more then certain that men would be out hunting by now.

He crouched low, rushing through the bushes back towards home. He felt his panic and anxiety rising, throwing caution to the wind as he sped up. There was a shout and jack bolted, hurrying to his full height and jumping further then he had ever before.

The sound of people trying to follow him sent his anxiety and panic through the roof. He ran through bush after bush, thankfully losing the hunters as he neared his home. With a final jump, jack soared into his room, landing with a loud thump on the floor. Without hesitation he turned and closed the window, breathing heavily as pippa slurred a question as she woke.

The door to their shared room creaked open and jack tensed as he turned to face his parents.

"What is going on?" His father questions as his mother hurried to his side, pulling leaves and twigs from his dirt covered fur.

"Nothing?" Jack tried, still panting and holding the windows closed with his hands. His father was about to question him again when someone was banging on their door. Jack froze, tending up to the point it became painful.

"Jack what have you done?" His mother whispered worriedly before quickly grabbing his cloak and other clothing. He wasn't able to hear the conversation from the front room amidst the noise the fabric made but he caught enough, "there's been a monster sighting" to make his throat close.

"-We've come for reinforcements, we need to protect the village-"

"I will come along but my son can't- he is unwell-"

He ignored the rest, choosing to instead curl up with Emma on the bed, his sister curling against his chest and holding onto his fur below his hood. Jack embraced her gently, as he kept his head and ears down.

He never should have left the house.