Panic

With his anxiety through the roof jack refused to leave the house unless absolutely necessary, leaving his parents to lie to the neighbors about him having caught a cold.

They weren't mad about him leaving the house, just upset. If jack had been just a bit slower he would have been caught and taken away from them, they couldn't lose their son like that.

So jack was more cautious now, always double checking his clothing to make sure everything was in place before leaving the house.

Everything seemed to go wrong, especially when his father actually got sick. whatever his mother had was now infecting his father, worse then it had her. His mother had to stay with him and couldn't leave to get the proper herbs to make him better. This left it up to jack, Hurrying he put on his cloak and rushed out of the house. His heightened senses allowed him to find the herbs his
Mother had spoken about, allowing him to be back quickly.

Thankfully their father would get better.

~

Emma had been down due to their father's sickness and bed rest but jack knew exactly what to do to make her feel better.

The pond had frozen over and was still frozen when they passed by it earlier so, grabbing his blades and his sisters, the two set off towards it. the second his sister recognized where they were going she perked up, talking quickly about what she wanted to do on the ice.

The ice was clear of snow but still frozen, it was solid below their feet. Jack happily swaps the shoes his mother made specifically for him for the blades to join his sister and the two children spun and danced on the ice for hours.

They were happy until a crack caused them both to freeze.

"Jack?" Emma all but whimpered before the two glanced down at their feet. The ice below pippa was starting to break, spiderweb cracks spreading out from her heel.

"Jack, I'm scared." She Starts to panic, legs trembling as the crack started to grow.

"Everything's fine, em, don't worry ok? Just, just focus on me ok?" Jack speaks calmly trying in vain to force the panic down. Taking his skates off, jack allowed his foot to spread properly on the ice.

"Your gonna be alright, your not gonna fall in. We're gonna have a little fun instead!" Jack tries, crouching down a bit.

"No we're not!" Emma cries, tears in her iced as the ice continues to crack and groan.

"Would I trick you?"

"Yes! you always play tricks!" Her voice wobbles as she speaks and he forces a soft chuckle.

"Well, not-not this time, I promise. I promise your gonna be, your gonna be fine. ya' have to believe in me." She nods her head, eyes focused on her brother and her brother alone. He unravels his scarf allowing her to see below his hood and at his face. He was running out of ideas, and by the sound of the ice, he was running out of time.

"You wanna play a game? We're gonna play hopscotch!" He exclaims softly, "like we play everyday, it's as easy as,uh,  one," Jack steps to the side and winces as the ice all but shatters below his foot only to pretend that the wind was blowing him, exclaiming an exaggerated "woah" that causes Emma to laugh.

"Two," the ice doesn't react," three!" He says, finaly teaching where he left his Shepard's crook.

"Now it's your turn" He murmurs, grabbing the crook and turning it towards Emma, "one."

She tries to move and it makes the ice's cracks grow, causing her to gasp, "that's ok, it's okay." Jack soothes, "your doing just fine, now two" another gasp, "three" Jack is quick to catch his sister around the legs with the staph and send her to the other side of the lake, far away from where it was cracking. It makes him move to the side but he doesn't worry, watching his sister as she gets to her feet.

She smiles at Jack, breathing heavy in relief. Jack smiles back, preparing to walk to her only to have the ice below him break. His fur and clothes instantly soak in the water, dragging him down as his sister yells his name.

No matter how hard jack tries, he can't make it to the surface. The water soaking into his cloak and clothes dragging him down faster.

His last thought is of his sister and his family, he hopes that they will be okay without him.