Introduction

A sleek, dark limosine glided down the narrow ribbon of a highway, snowbanks along the side of the road and the mountanous peaks lightly peppered with snow. The dark, cool shadows of the pinetrees were long and claw-like in the light of the full moon. A few bends in the road away, a young girl, perhaps fourteen, stood at the top of an incline by the side of the road, her sharp, stunningly green eyes, scanning the black ribbon of ice on the road before her. Her short, moonbeam hair gleamed in the moonlight, before everything transcended into shadow, as a cloud covered the moon briefly. For a moment, her eyes glowed a blue, a pixelated pattern on them, as she sightlessly gazed towards the road, hand on her chin.

            “Multiply the trajectory by the distance in the road, add in factors: Flat tire, bullet to the driver’s head…. Possible flaws: Too much swerve in the angle of the wheel-” She stopped as the moon came out and the limosine began to glide and disappear from her peripheral vision, as it turned each corner of the bends along the highway.

         “Ah well, no helping it I guess,” She sighed and took off the red rimmed, rectangular glasses she’d been wearing a moment earlier. As though she had all the time in the world, she lazily, almost lethargically, took two black pistols from the waistband of her jeans, and, after scrupulously checking to see if they were loaded, she slowly began to count backwards from three. “Three,” She simoultaneously cocked back the pistols. “Two,” The purr of the expensive limo reached her ears. “One,” Without a sound or another word, she raised the pistols and aimed each at one tire of the limo. “Listen to me and listen well, I have a story I wish to tell,” She shot one pistol, instantly flattening one tire. “Its about an annoying little vole who got in the eagle’s way, and, as everyone knows, when that happens…” The girl shot the other tire as the car began to swerve on the black ice. “There is no place in the world in which you can hide or stay.” Eyes cold, she shot the driver through the glass, and watched with cold, unfeeling eyes as the limosine plunged over the side of the cliff, the passenger screaming, terrified at his own helplessness. “Goodbye, Uncle. Perhaps now all our relatives will see not to mess with the President’s Eagle, for an eagle, no matter how young, has talons, yes?” She walked to the edge of the cliff and threw a single white rose over the side of it. With no grief in her eyes, expression on her face, or feeling in her heart.

            The rose twirled and spun as it made its descent, its petals already beginning to freeze in the sheer cold. Its leaves curled in the frigid air, and its dark green stem slowly began to turn brown. When it finally plopped onto the snowy ground, the only color on it left, other than brown, were its pure white, frozen petals. It was the only splash of white in the char of the car wreck, flames causing its petals to look orange. It began to snow heavily, and soon, a rose, a fire, a car wreck, and a corpse were buried under a thick blanket of white.

        A few days later, the President stood watching a news report on the TV. He wasn’t really listening to the words, just watching as a crane dragged the charred skeleton of a limosine out of a canyon. As the car was finally pulled out, a brown, thorougly wilted rose fell from its door, where it’d been previously snagged. A smile tugged at the corners of his lips, as he spoke.

            “Well done, my Eagle. You outdid yourself. A silent, accidental looking death, no need for coverups-”

            “I do not wish for your flattery. Just have your men take me to the anime convention I want to go to, if you please.” The girl leaned off in a shadowy corner, her eyes closed. She was now dressed in a long, checkered orange and white dress, her moonbeam hair pulled into two long pigtails, a basket filled with white roses hanging off her arm.

            “And which character are you tributing this time?” The President smiled good naturedly.

            “A girl who got stabbed by a wacked up doctor. She got snatched off the streets, pretty much drugged, and put in a cage to be killed to have her bones made into artificial body parts.” The girl said calmly, as though this happened on a daily basis.

            “Black Butler?”

            “Is it ever anything else? So many characters are so easily forgotten that I can easily find something new for each convention.” She began walking out of the room, two secret service agents falling in behind her.

            “Have fun, my Eagle,” The President waved as the thick, mahogany door shut behind the girl.