Chapter Ten- A "Vacation" Pt 1

*Archer*

        The morning was gray and bleak, the trees desolate looking and skeletal, as the last leaves of Autumn fell to the ground in a heap of brown. Autumn, in reality, is depressing. It is merely the last beauty before the desolation and harshness of winter, a time when there is cold, snow, and, most of all, death. One could say it was the ember of life before it was smothered by thick white blankets of frost. Winter always depressed me in some way or form, and I always figured it was because there was no green life to look at, but England seemed to be a bit different. Fog, rather than snow, carpeted the grounds of the manor, causing everything to have blurred shadows and give everything an air of mysteriousness. It was no wonder that Sherlock had plenty to do, it was the perfect murder scene, easy to sneak to and fro, unseen, if one could see themself.

        "And that is why everyone thinks you are so scary," Ciel's voice rang out through the fog, startling me. I was sitting on the rough bark of a fallen tree, watching, bored, as the fog swirled around. I'd been tending to the winter growing plants when the fog rolled in, and, not wanting to risk a broken ankle, I sat down on the log I now sat, just thinking about whatever I'd really wanted. Guess I'd been thinking aloud for the last bit.... hopefully. 

        "I need to pay better attention," I stated coolly, flicking a few stray strands of hair out of my face and standing. "This place..." I thought, paying visible attention to make sure I actually wasn't speaking aloud, "Is. Making. Me. Soft." This was the second time I'd said it, but it didn't make it any less true. Something was going to die if I kept this up, and I was determined to not let that 'something' be me. 

        "Come along, Archer," Ciel stated in equal coolness. Hmph, obviously he was still sore about losing the chess match. 

        "The chess match never had a chance for completion. We'll call it a draw, for now," He'd said. With a snort, I closed my eyes, since it made no difference either way. I could see a mass of white, or a mass of black, and frankly, I preferred the black. Don't ask me why, I just did. Eventually, I sensed I was at the manor, and I opened my eyes to see Ciel's silhouette in the fog.

        "Was there something you needed, Earl Phantomhive?" My voice was, instead of frigid, completely unfeeling and devoid of all emotion, my face as blank as a white sheet of paper. Ciel stared at me for a moment, a look of shock flickering across his face, before speaking.

        "We're going on a holiday, pack some clothes and meet the others by the cart," He said smoothly, walking back into the manor without another word. 

        "Hai," I stated, even though he was long gone by then, and walking around the back through the kitchen doors. "Bard, don't even think about packing a flamethrower," I didn't even look up as I sensed the blonde American, pinching the bridge of my nose, and walking past his slightly stunned form.

        "How'd you know?!?!" Bard bellowed as I went down the hall with my eyes squeezed shut in irritation. The distinct vibrations of a tea cart rumbling down the corridor got my attention, and I swiftly stepped to the side, opening my eyes. Casually taking out a knife, I measured the angle, applied the trajectory, and threw it, causing the cart to spin and come to a complete stop a few inches away. 

        "Do be more careful, Mei-Rin," I exhaled, stepping around the still shrieking woman and continuing on my way. There were no further mishaps as I finally reached my room.

        We were on our way relatively quickly, considering the other servants and I just had to pack the clothes on our backs and.... other articles. The only items I brought were my basket- plus all of its surprises- and a small bag of clothes. The other servants were crowing happily about going on a holiday, Sebastian and the Earl were in a carriage behind the cart we now rumbled along in, and I laid in the back, glowing eyes scanning the dark gray sky above me and debating the chance percentage of rain. However, despite this holiday, I was wary of anything the Earl promised. No doubt there was some ulterior motive, or something of that nature....