Chapter One- The End

(The end is a strange title for the beginning of a story, no? And yet, it is fitting as well, as you shall soon see...)

*The Eagle*

            Costumes of numerous shades and variations danced and swirled before my eyes, all Victorian age, everyone wearing extensive, elaborate makeup. Perhaps it was just the fact that I was the only one in a plain getup, but I felt as if I stood out. People stared at me through veils, or peeked at me from the edges of disgustingly bright parasols. Then again, maybe I was just being self-conscious.

            “OMG Katidara! You made it!” A high pitched voice rang out, rather like the shriek of the harpies of lore, and I winced, both at my full name and the improper use of grammar. Before I could correct the owner of said voice, I was glomped from behind. “EEEEE! I don’t know why you don’t wear dresses more often, you look so adorable!” A petite girl swung me around by my wrists with surprising, herculean strength.

            “Stephanie, you know I don’t like them. I just wear it to commemorate the characters that’ve been forgotten.” My face had an annoyed expression, but my eyes smiled at the sight of the shorter girl. She had long red hair and an oval shaped face, her usually gray-brown eyes a seaweed green, probably due to contacts. Stephanie currently wore a long, red jacket, high heels, and crimson rimmed glasses. “I really don’t have to guess, do I?”

            “Oh, where is my Sebas-Chan! He promised he’d come!” Stephanie sweat dropped, flashing me a flamboyant smile filled with pointed teeth.

            “Impressive, how’d you do the teeth?” I wondered aloud.

            “Why, darling, I used my chainsaw!” Suddenly a cardboard version of a very familiar death scythe was pointed at my throat. I admired the hours of effort she’d put into it. “Want to test it out?” Stephanie flashed me another grin filled with alligator teeth. After studying her smile for a moment, I saw a slight variation in color in a line along her teeth.

            “You glued pointed tooth caps to your teeth,” I said triumphantly, nodding my head and pounding my fist into my face up palm. Stephanie sweat dropped again in surprise.

            “Awwwww! I thought I’d get you this time to! Anyway,” She grabbed my hand and started dragging me off towards the entrance. “Let us go look for my Sebas-Chan and William!” The dramatic tone in her voice made me smile. As nice as it felt to smile, the cold pit in my stomach that I’d felt as soon as I exited the nondescript van the agents had brought me in had grown tenfold.

            “I will catch up with you and Sebas-Chan and William,” I removed my hand from Stephanie’s and melted into the crowd before she could object. As soon as I was a good distance away, tucked behind a row of shops advertising anime related merchandise, my eyes began to glow a pixelated blue.

            A glint of silver caught my eye as I scanned the rooftops. It only took me a moment to realize it was the barrel of a sniper rifle. Everything froze for a moment, and all seemed to be a dark, mesmerizing blue, as I took one of the white roses out of my basket and threw it at a blinding speed. As crimson splashed onto the horrified people below, everything sped back up again and I was at Stephanie’s side once more.

            “Where’d you go, Girlie?” Stephanie looked at me curiously, but I just smiled as if nothing had happened.

            “Let’s just enjoy the convention,” I beamed at her, pulling her along. “Oh Sebas-Chan!” I yelled at the top of my lungs, and Stephanie and I burst into hysterical, hyena-like laughing.