Picking a deity

Finding a deity can be hard, not just for beginner witches.

Deity can mean a lot of different things to different people. For some deity is the presence of the divine in the natural world, in the sprouts shooting from the ground at spring and the leaves blanketing the earth come autumn. Beyond the greenery, some may also connect with deity through the animals and creatures of the earth.

For others, deity is a single being with or without corporal (person) imagery. Then for others deity is a pantheon of different gods and goddesses, or perhaps even a single god or goddess who is part of a wider pantheon.

Deity can even be all of these at once, nature, creatures, god or goddess, and pantheon, or then again perhaps a combination of these. It depends on your spiritual practice.

Connecting with a deity is very much something that is entirely unique to your practice. There are so many different ways to approach it, that it is important to keep in mind that spirit is truly your best guide as to what deity means to you and how you desire to connect with it.

You don't have to work with deities if you don't want to. It is completely personal choice.

Ways to bond with deities:

Research different deities to see which one you connect with.

• Leave offerings like food or gifts to show your appreciation.

• Use divination techniques to interpret deities, like tarot or pendulum or dreaming.

Journals are a good way to review past experiences that you documented.

• Make crafts for your deities to help forge a connection.

Hobbies can be offerings and activities you share with your deities.

Sharing and talking about your deities can help you recognize your own feelings towards the deity you worship.

Praying can help you reach out to your deities.

• Create an altar or shrine to help worship and connect with your deities.