The Mysterious Owner

The last time Tallion or Tally, to his family and friends had seen Rowen was almost a decade ago, just after his younger sister's fourth birthday. There was a small gathering at the Tenebris House back then where Tallion happened to remember a specific conversation he had with a sixteen year old Rowen.

The party was at full swing as music and laughter filled the air, all circling around the cutest four year old child in the room, her face covered with chocolate cake. As the adults marvel around Alice, Rowen took the sidelines, enjoying the sight of the mess his younger sister made. He went outside at the porch where he found Tallion who was a bit lightheaded, having drunk two mugs of beer even though he promised his wife to stay away from it.

Rowen took it as a chance to strike a conversation with Tallion. There weren't much opportunities for Rowen to talk Tallion without his father constantly around them. Now that he was preoccupied with his sister, Rowen decided it was now or never.

"Uncle Tally, can I talk to you?"

"Rowen? What are you doing out here? Shouldn't you be inside with your family?"

"They're pretty busy for the moment. I got some time before they take photos."

"What do you want to talk about?"

"I heard that you previously worked with the Silverdawn Guild before."

"Did your father told you that? He shouldn't be talking about other people's lives as bed time stories to kids."

"Please, Uncle Tally. I just overheard you talking to my father about it. That's all. No one else knows. It's just the three of us."

"Four if you include my wife." He mumbled, somehow the alcohol was slowly getting to his brain. "So what do you want to know about Silverdawn? The guild closed down after the guildmaster's death. It's nothing more but part of history."

"But there's something I need to know."

"If you insist but I was just a casual member back then. The most I can talk to you about is already public knowledge."

"What I want to know is regarding the dealings between Silverdawn and the Conventus."

"The Conventus? Where did you hear that boy?" Tallion's expression turned serious as if he had somber up. "That's an underground society. Why do you have knowledge about it?"

"Because they found me first."

"The Conventus found you? What do you mean by that?"

"I'm not a Tenebris by blood, Uncle Tally. I was adopted."

Words left Tallion in an instant. He was desparate to find the right words to comfort the young boy yet he couldn't. He was left speechless by the sudden revealation. The truth however explained a lot of things since Rowen did not shared a single familiar trait of Duncan and Annabeth. Something he always wanted to ask but kept quiet, minding his own business.

"Don't worry about it. I have always known about it ever since father and mother took me in. Even if we are not blood related, I still considered them as my family for everything they have done for me."

"Then what does the Conventus has to do with you?"

"Since birth, I was raised in an orphanage until it was attacked by the Conventus. Many children were killed. Those that survived were taken away by them. I was one of the few that managed to escape their clutches and that was when Duncan and Annabeth found and raise me."