Choose

Lunch was a rather awkward time in the Tenebris house. Duncan was quietly eating with his wife beside him, eyeing her son to try and ease the tense situation. Rowen was about speak up when Alice broke the silence.

"So your name is not, Ishilda Everit?" Alice nonchalantly asked, although secretly she was enjoying getting her into trouble.

"Alice!" Her brother tried to hush her.

"I'm just asking. If she's not Ishilda Everit, then who is she?"

"My name is .... Ishilda." She started slowly, almost reluctant to continue. "Everit .... is my mother's family name."

"Then why did papa called you Vancleave?"

"It's because .... it's my father's family name."

"So then what are you, Everit or Vancleave?"

"Alice," Her father finally talked, after finishing his meal. "Can you leave the room?"

"But," Alice argued back.

"No buts. This conversation does not concern you."

"Fine." She got up from the chair, picking up her plate all the while glaring at Ishilda as she exited the room.

"Firstly, did you know about this, Rowen?"

"Yes,.... from the beginning."

"No," Ishilda tried to protect him. "Rowen didn't know anything at all. My identity was always kept a secret at school."

"Then, does your grandfather know about your relationship?"

"He knows about Rowen but not about our engagement."

"So he doesn't know it's serious?"

"No, not yet."

"I see."

Silence filled the room once again. Rowen held Ishilda's hand under the table to show his support for her. Even though he was previously anxious of getting married to Ishilda, now that he was with her in front of their parents, he felt more braver than ever. He was determined to see this through and had assumed that his parents would support them. However as he looked up at his father, the head of the house, Duncan looked rather perplexed, his serious expression which made Rowen nervous.

"Let me ask you, Miss Ishilda." His father stared directly at her. It was those green eyes with a spark of gold that gave away her real identity. "Are you planning on taking up the Vancleave's name sometime in the future?"

"Dad, why are you asking her this? She has,"

"Let me speak, Rowen." Without breaking his attention from Ishilda. "As of now, the Vancleave Clan has two direct heirs, you and your brother, Stepfan. Although your existence has yet to be introduce to the public, if anything happens to your father, either one of you must take the mantle of leadership. Can you say as a fact that you won't take up the position?"

Ishilda couldn't say anything. Behind her wordless expression, deep down Ishilda knew that there was a chance of her succeeding her father's position. Although her brother was currently being groomed to be the next leader, her grandfather had similar plans for her. He had yet to voice out his thoughts on the next successor and had kept his will a secret due to Ishilda's hesitance on the role. He allowed Ishilda to do as she pleased, venturing into the world and living out her life. She appreciated the freedom she had yet she knew there would always come a time when she needed to return to the clan.