The Return

When Hunter pulls into a parking spot I open my door and get out before he can even park. He follows after me when the car is parked. We go inside and we go to the front desk.
"Hi, what room is John Gilbert in?" I ask the lady and she goes to look it up on her computer.
"Phoebe." Someone calls out from behind me. I turn around to see Bonnie.
"Bonnie? What are you doing here?" I ask.
"I'm here for Caroline." She explains.
"Wait, Caroline is here?" I ask.
"Yeah, she was in a car accident. If you're not here for Caroline who are you here for?" She asks me confused.
"John, someone came into the house and stabbed him." I tell her.
"Right, Elena was just here with Damon about that." She says remembering.
"So how is Caroline?" I ask her.
"She's going to be okay." She tells me and I'm instantly relieved.
"She can't have visitors yet?" I ask and she shakes her head no. "Okay, then I'm going to go check on Uncle John and then I'll be back in the morning to see Caroline." I explains and she nods her head.
"I can pick you up tomorrow, if you'd like." She offers.
"Yeah that would be great. Thanks." I say and she goes back to sit down.
"Miss, it says that John Gilberts room is c22. But visiting hours are over in 10 minutes. So make it quick." She says and I give a quick thanks before heading towards his room, Hunter right behind me.
I walk into the room, Hunter said he would stay in the hallway. John looks like he's asleep.
I go over and sit by his bed, and take his hand in mine. He stirs awake.
"Hey, how're you doing?" I ask him and he goes to talk but his voice is dry. I move to get his water for him.
"I'm okay." He tells me. "They say I will be fine in a few weeks." He tells me and set the water back down. "What're you doing here?" He asks.
"Well, no matter how much of a jerk you were to Ric, you're still my Uncle and I care." I tell him and he smiles at me.
"Well, thank you for coming by." He says.
"Yeah, no problem. I have to go, visiting hours are basically over." I tell him and he nods as I get up and walk over to the door to reunite with Hunter. We walk back to his car and he drives me back to his house with him where I stay the night with him.

I wake up the next day to Hunter's arm wrapped around my waist and my back up against his chest. I move to get out of his arms but his grip tightens.
"Hunter, I need to get up and get ready. Bonnie is picking me up and then I promised Tyler I would be there for him at his fathers Wake." I tell him and he groans out a 'no'.
I wiggle out of his arms and go to grab the bag of clothes that Elena packed for me and dropped of late last night. I head to his bathroom and change light blue ripped jeans and gray tank top. I walk out and jump onto the bed.
"Goodbye." I tell Hunter and leave a bunch of kisses all over his face. I go to get up but he pulls me back and gives me a long kiss on the lips. I smile into and get up after he lets me go. I walk downstairs and go out the door to Bonnie's car.
"Thanks for picking me up Bon." I say as I get in and put my seatbelt on.
"It's no problem. Am I still taking you to Ty's dads' wake after?" She asks she turns out of their driveway. It's only about a 5 minute drive to the hospital from here.
"Could you?" I ask and she nods. "Thanks so much. I mean you know how I basically grew up over there. I have to be there for Ty and his mom." I tell her and she nods in understanding. After she parks we go into the hospital and meet up with Matt in the waiting room outside of Caroline's room.
"Have you been here all night?" Bonnie asks him.
"Yeah, with the sheriff." Matt tells us.
"And no one else?" Bonnie asks him.
"Stefan's brother Damon stopped by late last night." Matt tells her.
"Wait. Why did Damon stop by?" I ask him.
"They used to date, plus now he's super close with the sheriff." Bonnie tells me.
"Huh, I didn't know that." I say.
"How is Caroline today?" Bonnie asks him and I give him curious eyes as well.
"See for yourself." He says to us and takes us back to her room.
"Jersey shore is on." Caroline says sitting up with a smile as we walk into her room. "Ooh, careful! I'm still a little sore." Caroline says as Bonnie and I tackle her with a hug. Each of us on each side of her bed. We both pull away slowly with a sorry.
"It's okay." She assures us. "But they say I'm healing really quick now."
"My turn." Matt says and gives her a kiss.
"Oh! Isn't he cute?" Caroline asks us with a smile. "Why are you crying?" She asks Bonnie.
"I'm just happy you're ok." she tells her.
"Well, I love you guys." She says to us.
"We love you too." We all say back.

After about spending an hour with Caroline Bonnie drops me off at Tyler's.
I stand at the door with Tyler as he shakes everyone's hands. He looks out on the drive way as car pulls up and a man gets out. The man is very familiar.
"So the black sheep returns." Tyler says.
"Tyler?"
"Yeah."
"What happened to you? In my mind, you're still 12 years old." He says to Ty.
"Well, that's two years older than the last time you saw me Uncle Mason." Tyler says and it dawns on me. I remember Mason, vaguely.
"And this can't be. Phoebe Gilbert?" He asks me and I nod. "Last time I saw you, you were 9 and running around here in a tutu and a princess crown." He tells me and I laugh.
"Now, my age you got right." I tell him.
"Get over here." He tells Tyler and they hug, I'm next. "It's good to see you again." He tells Tyler.
"It's good to see you, too. Come inside." He says and we all walk inside. We go inside for a bit until we run into Mrs. Lockwood and she tells us to go back outside and invite people in.
"Hey, Elena. Thanks for coming. Come on in." He says and shakes her hand.
"Hey Lena, I like your hair. It's different. Can I get a ride home with you?" I ask her.
"Yeah." She says with a smile and goes inside. After a few more people Tyler goes inside to get a drink and I follow in and make my rounds to people. I see Elena but the difference is she's wearing a different outfit and her hair is straightened.
"Hey, When did you have time to straighten your hair?" I ask her.
"What do you mean it's always straight?" she asks and I become confused.
"No, an hour ago when you got here it was curled." I say.
"No I- You're right. Bonnie straightened it after I got here." She tells me with a smile and I smile back. "I have to go but Jer and Jenna are leaving here soon you can get a ride with them." She tells me.
"Jer.. Jenna.. When did they get here?!" I call after her but she's too far gone.

I do get a ride home with Jeremy and Jenna and I'm about to get into bed when I realize there's a not on my pillow. I go over and open it.

My dearest niece Phoebe,

I have left town, I'm not sure anyone will care other than you. I'm not sure when I'll be back or if I will come back. I don't think I could have told you in person and still be able to leave. I know I risk you hating me too now. But I had to go.
Uncle John

I read it and scoff. He just left town not even a goodbye. I get into the shower and wash away all my anger towards him. I think I hear screaming but it stops, so I forget it and finish up my shower. I get out get dressed and head to bed. It has been a long day.