29. nightcall - merkel (atomic blonde)

WARNINGS: smut, orgasm denial, slight dom/sub leanings, choking, spitting, some overstimulation, mention of death

It was a cold, rainy Friday when she received a letter in her mailbox.

Or, she supposed it could be more accurately described as a single word, rather than a written letter. When she opened her mailbox and saw a single slip of paper inside, she knew what it meant. For a moment, she turned, eyes scanning the street outside of her apartment building, hoping to catch a glimpse of the man she loved. Of course, he was nowhere to be found. Gone like a phantom in the night.

She clutched the paper in her hand, and she didn't read it until she was safe in her apartment. The moment the door was closed behind her, she uncrumpled the torn piece of notebook paper and gazed down at it. Scribbled on it, in his familiar writing, was the word rooftop. She let out a breath and glanced at the clock. She still had some time. Good thing, too, because she needed all the time she could get.

She hadn't seen him in weeks. She'd been under the impression that something had happened to him, really. That he'd gotten himself caught, or killed. Was it easy to stomach the thought of that? No, absolutely not. But life goes on. At least, that was what she tried to tell herself. The truth was, she loved him dearly, and not knowing where he was or if she'd ever see him again tore her to shreds.

Maybe she should have broken things off with him a long time ago. It would have saved her a lot of heartache, that's for certain. But she kept letting him in. Into her heart, into her home, into her bed. There was something about him that was so enchanting. He was unlike any man she'd ever met before. And to feel his love was to feel like she was on top of the world. However, she wasn't sure if it made all of the fear that she'd never see him again and the sleepless nights spent worrying for his safety worth it.

She had every right to ignore his request and leave him alone on that rooftop to find out that she was never coming. But she wasn't going to do that, she knew it, and so did he. She was going to meet him, and the night would likely end with the two of them tangled together, immersed in the throes of pleasure.

This is what prompted her to quit standing still as a statue in the entryway of her apartment and begin getting ready. She wanted to look her best for him. Merkel appreciated a good outfit, and she always made it a point to deliver.

First, a shower was in order, then it was on to her outfit, hair, and makeup. She kept it simple, but sexy, and finished off the look with a trench coat. Another thing Merkel was partial to. All of that didn't take her long, and she found herself waiting around her apartment because she had to wait until sundown to go see him. He'd always told her they had to meet in secret, after the sun left the sky and the night swallowed everything whole. He couldn't risk her being seen, it was much too dangerous. Although, simply being near her put her in enough danger as it was. And that was why he'd been keeping his distance.

She didn't know it, but something was brewing. Something big. He had a feeling in his gut that it would all be over soon, the danger, the secrecy, all of it. They could finally be together, without fear, without reservation. He was going to make sure of it, because he knew his time with the CIA was coming to a close. He'd never dreamed the day would come, but as of late, he'd been thinking about it nonstop. He felt that this chapter of his life was to be over soon, that it was time to start a new one. But he couldn't just yet. And he needed to let her know this. That was why he'd asked her to meet him here, on a rooftop high above Berlin. He was going to tell her everything.