VII | With You

Neither of them spoke first.

The assistant didn't notice the situation behind him. He turned to see Alexander standing without moving. He couldn't help but call out, puzzled, "Mr. Smith?"

He took two steps forward and saw that Isabelle was in front of Alexander. In that instant, he politely greeted her, "Hello, Miss Davis."

Isabelle snapped back to reality and nodded slightly at the assistant. She tightly grabbed the bag in her hands and looked away from Alexander. Then she shifted two steps to the side, around Alexander, and rushed over to the street.

She walked away hurriedly, and didn't even notice that the car Alexander had called had already started up. She was dangerously close to being hit, but luckily, Alexander reacted just in time. He suddenly pulled her arm, which made her take two steps back, and the car slowly drove off in front of her.

The assistant jumped in fright. He looked over at Isabelle, slightly pale, and asked, "Miss Davis, are you okay?"

Isabelle forced herself to calm down and shook her head at the assistant. Then she realized that Alexander had grabbed her arm. His palms were soft and warm.

Her body stiffened. She raised her head and looked at Alexander. His head was lowered, his pitch-black eyes staring directly at her. She instinctively lowered her eyes, and hesitated for a moment, before she struggled to pull her arm out of his grip. Without a sound, she lowered her head and walked off towards the streets.

Alexander's hand froze rigidly in the air, still seeming as though he was holding something. He held onto that pose, as he stared straight at Isabelle's figure.

Isabelle pulled the car door open, and Camila, who was on the phone, turned her head and blew a kiss. She hung up the phone, started up the car, and drove off.

The car took a turn up the road ahead. Even when they completely disappeared, Alexander was still standing, blanked out, on the spot.

After following Alexander for so many years, his assistant could smell that something was wrong. He instinctively stepped a few steps away from Alexander, and kept himself quiet, as he pretended to be deaf and mute.

After a long while, Alexander's handsome and refined eyes blinked gently. He pulled his eyes back from afar, then put his hand down. He calmly turned his head and strode over to the mansion without a sound.

The assistant waited for Alexander to walk ahead for some distance before he started striding in after him. According to many years of experience, he knew that though Alexander looked quite calm, at this moment in time, it was actually when his mood was the worst.

The assistant didn't follow Alexander into the house, but grabbed the car keys, opened the car door, and sat down in the driver seat.

~*~

Having just seen Isabelle to the door, Madam Mary was about to sit down to eat. Then she heard the door open and assumed that Isabelle was back for something she had forgotten to bring, so she hurriedly put her chopsticks down and walked out. "Miss..."

Just as Madam Mary called out that one word, she saw Alexander changing his shoes at the entrance. She quickly changed her tone of voice to be far less casual. "Mr. Smith, you're back."

Alexander didn't go to see Madam Mary, nor did he say anything. He couldn't be bothered to.

Madam Mary was well used to Alexander's cold attitude, and continued to ask with a smile, "Have you eaten lunch yet, Mr. Smith? Do you want to eat something?"

Seeing as Alexander didn't respond, the expression on her face became awkward. In the end, she said, "Mrs Smith just left."

"I know." When Alexander heard what she said, he replied with those two words.