XLVIII | Coffee first. Schemes later.

That morning, Jake had flown to France to take part on the runway, so Sophia picked up her parents after work and went home together with them.

Compared to the past, they got back today rather early. When they arrived home, servants hadn't made dinner yet.

Sophia took a shower and brewed a pot of green tea, then brought a cup for her parents, who were reading a newspaper in the living room.

Her father took a sip of tea. With work on his mind, he casually asked Sophia something.

"Dad, when you're at home, could you not always be busy with work?" she complained, which also prompted her mother to chime in. Then, the doorbell rang.

Sophia stood up to open the door. When she saw Mrs. Williams, she smiled. "Auntie."

Mrs. Williams ignored her. Without changing her shoes, she stomped into the house.

When both Sophia's mother and father saw her expression, they knew that something was wrong. They glanced at each other and Mrs. Davis stood up with a smile on her face. "What happened? Why are you so angry?"

Mrs. Williams remained silent, tossing the photos onto the coffee table.

Both Sophia's parents froze, then reached to pick a photo each. The moment they took in their contents, their faces paled instantly.

After a moment, Mr. Davis said, " There could be a misunderstanding."

"Misunderstanding? I hope it's a misunderstanding, but the photos are out, so how can you call this a misunderstanding? Now, the entire business circle is aware of this scandal, your precious niece cuckolded my son! I'm sure they're all laughing at my James right now!"

Since Mrs. Williams was infuriated, her words became especially mean and crude.

Mrs. Davis tried to salvage the situation. " I don't think you should be so agitated, you should know that Izzy and Sophie were both James and Alexander's classmates, this could just be a meal..."

"JUST A MEAL? Besides, who eats like this?" Mrs. Williams bent down, pointing at the photos aggressively.

Since they were at the wrong, the Davis parents smiled while instructing Sophia, "Get auntie some tea."

Mr. Davis then turned to Mrs. Davis. "Get Izzy here right now."

Mr. Davis stood up, tapping onto Mrs. Williams's shoulder. "Calm down, we'll ask Izzy when she gets back."

After Sophia poured Mrs. Williams a cup of tea, she picked a photo up to take a look. Inside, Alexander and Isabelle were sitting at a table beside a lake while having a meal.

~*~

Alexander was tenderly using a wet tissue to help Isabelle clean her hands. Isabelle, in the meantime, had her face lowered, her gaze focused on the hand that Alexander was wiping, a hint of embarrassment on her face.

After staring for a few moments, Sophia lifted her head to look at Mrs. Williams's infuriated expression then back at her disappointed parents. Fury erupted in her chest, and grabbing the photos, she left the house.

Just then, the maid outside, who was watering the plants, greeted her, "Miss Davis."

Sophia ignored her, entering her car. Without even fastening her seat belt, she stomped on the accelerator.

~*~

For the past few days, Isabelle had been having dinner with Alexander, but this afternoon, he had informed her that he had to work overtime. So when it was 6 pm, she called for takeaway.