Chenga

The steady, drip, drip, drip of the water falling from the cave roof into the pool of water, mixed with the murmur of voices, as the Murga, Treaga, Shaddan and Mino-bultai began to prepare to feast on the food that had been brought in on The Black Ram.  The gang boss,Tharn, gestured for Nirgalen to follow him. and they walked deeper into the giant cavern that been hewn from the rocks of Chenga.

Away from the pool of water, the constellations of starlight from the glow-worms began to dwindle.  In the faint light, Nirgalen saw a rough wooden door, which was fashioned from pieces of crate, and set on rough-looking hinges.  Tharn knocked on the door, then stood back

'Come in.'  A deep voice answered the knock.  Tharn swung open the door and motioned for Nirgalen to follow.

They came into a large room which had been cut from the rock, just as the main cavern had.  No glow-worms were on the ceiling, but light came from several jars filled with the wriggling worms.  Sitting cross-legged on the floor was an old man, dressed in what looked like a priest's robes.

'Tharn, you may leave.'  The old man made a gesture with his left hand.

'Kay, boss.'  With that Tharn left the room, closing the door behind him.

'Welcome,  I am Cauthen, please come sit.'  The old man pointed to a cushion on the floor next to him.

Nirgalen moved over to the man and sat, cross-legged on the cushioned floor.

'Now, tell me of what is happening?'

'I've been here before.'

'I know.'  The old man nodded and smiled.  'What is it you need?'

'A way off of Chenga... and a way to beat The Void.'

'Ahhh... it seems you are learning.'

'Can you show me the way?'

'Yes, Nirgalen... just as before... you are the key!'