7. forbidden hero

Haley's P.O.V.

"What kind of training exercise is this?"

"Leo, would you just trust me? This exercise really helped me master my energy transference ability."

Leo just gave me a look before turning back to the table with the two lamps on it. One of the lamps was on while the other one was off. I placed my hands on my hips and walked over to the other side of him.

"Believe it or not, this exercise really does help, no matter how dumb it seems." I told him, "Just remember to pull the right amount of energy out and place the same amount back in the other lamp. If you take out or place too much, the bulb could burst. Give it a shot."

Doing what he was told, Leo placed his hand up to the lamp that was turned on. He took a deep breath before starting to suck all of the energy out. Yellow rays began to flow from the bulb to his hand. Then, he pulled away from the bulb. A ball of yellow energy sat in his hand. He turned towards the lamp that was off and began to transfer the energy from his hand to that lamp. Suddenly, the bulb shattered, which made us both jump. His hand fell down and his head dropped in defeat.

I assured him, "Leo, it's okay. This is your first time doing this exercise."

"I just thought it would be super easy." Leo replied. Then, he asked, "Did I do something wrong?"

"No," I immediately answered, "Leo, it took me weeks to complete that exercise correctly. I mean, do you know how many light bulbs Davenport went through while training me? It took me awhile to finally get it because it's not as easy as it looks. Trust me, you'll get it eventually."

"I hope so." He said frustratedly, "Can we take a break?"

"Sure," I replied before walking over and sitting down on the ledge. I grabbed my water bottle and took a drink of water while Leo just asked, "So what's it like being a mentor?"

Once I finished my drink, I replied, "It's pretty nice. I finally understand what it's like to be the teacher instead of the student. Now that I think about it, we were pretty terrible to those teachers at Mission Creek."

"Well, to be fair, they deserved it." Leo pointed out and I just nodded my head in agreement. Then, he said, "But is that really going to stop you from misbehaving?"

"Definitely not."

Leo just gave me a small smile while I clapped my hand on his shoulder. Suddenly, our phones started to go off like crazy. We pulled them out and our eyes widened.

"It's a mission alert!" Leo said.

"Let's go!" I replied before we ran out of the room.

———

After the mission, we returned on the hydro loop. As soon as we stood up, Chase and I had Leo wrap his arms around our shoulders so he could walk out of the hydroloop. During the mission, Leo injured his ankle. It immediately got annoying though because Adam was saying, "Easy, easy, easy, easy-"

Finally, Chase huffed in annoyance and said to him, "You know, this would be a lot easier without you saying 'easy' every two seconds!"

"Sorry." Adam replied. Chase and I just gave each other looks before we started to help Leo walk again. Then, Adam began to say, "Careful, careful, careful!"

Bree, Chase, Leo, and I all look at each other and rolled our eyes as Bob and a few of the other students walked into the main area. When Bob saw Leo, he asked us, "Oh no. Did Leo blow chunks on the hydroloop again?"

It actually happens a lot more than you would believe. Leo just gave Bob a look before answering, "No. We were on a mission, and I hurt my ankle."

Then, Bree added, "And then he blew chunks on the hydroloop again."