17. on the edge

Haley's P.O.V.

Halloween came and left at the academy, and to be honest, I don't know if I was happy about it or not. In case you were wondering, I did go to the mainland and got a ton of more decorations. The academy looked pretty spooky if I do say so myself. On the other hand, I definitely wasn't ready for another skull incident. I still could never tell if Chase or Bree was really possessed or not.

Adam, Bree, Chase, and I were all hanging out by the hydroloop when Leo and S-1 came walking over to us. Speaking of S-1, she is already at the expert level of her training. Part of me wasn't surprised though because she was the strongest out of Krane's soldiers. Her and Leo were also really good friends, which made me happy since they hated each other this time last year.

When Leo and S-1 got to us and while I was scarfing down my burrito as my fourth snack of the day, Leo said to us, "Well guys, it took awhile, but we finally came up with S-1's new name."

"We went through hundreds before we came up with the perfect one," S-1 added.

"Cool," I smiled when I finished my bite, "So what is it?"

"Charlotte."

"Taylor."

The four of us looked at Leo and... Charlotte... Taylor... very confused. She looked at Leo in confusion, and Leo just gave her a fake smile, "Right, Taylor... my second choice."

Taylor just gave him a look while I just smacked Leo's arm. He winced in pain and rubbed his arm while Bree smiled at Taylor, "Well, I like it."

"Yeah, great name," Chase nodded his head in agreement.

"Eh, it doesn't really matter to me," Adam said, which made us all look at him confused, "I didn't remember you other name, and I'm not going to remember this one either."

We all just looked at Adam really annoyed. I didn't realized the name S-1 was so hard to remember. Thankfully, and I say that very lightly, Davenport came over to us so I knew the conversation would change. He said to us excitedly, "Hey guys! I have some great news!"

Adam gasped excitedly, "You're finally eligible for the senior discount?"

"No!" Davenport said with a look on his face. Then, he hesitated for a moment before saying, "Maybe. I don't want to talk about it!" We all just tried to hide our laughs while he continued, "The President called and is honoring you guys with a prestigious award for completing mission one thousand."

We all looked at each other excitedly. We're actually getting an award for saving lives? It's about time!

Taylor turned to us and cheered, "That's awesome! Congratulations, guys!"

"Thanks, but if you count all of the missions where our bionics were still a secret, the number is actually 2,604," Chase corrected, which all made us glare at him in annoyance. Then, he asked with a grin, "But who's counting?"

As I took another bite of my burrito, Bree said to him annoyed, "You are. That's all you do is count!"

"I do not!" Chase immediately snapped back before adding, "But just for the record, that's the fifty-third time that you've told me that."

I turned to Bree and asked her sarcastically, "But who's counting?"

The two of us high-fived while Chase just glared at us. Leo walked over to Davenport and exclaimed, "This is so great! About time I got honored for something. So when is this little shindig?"

That's when Davenport informed us, "In a couple of weeks. There's going to be a big fancy ceremony on the mainland, but the President is only honoring the original team: Adam, Bree, and Chase."