21. the vanishing (pt. 1)

Haley's P.O.V.

It has been a few weeks since Davenport's space colony was destroyed. There would be times throughout the day where he would just randomly start bawling his eyes out. None of us really ask him what's wrong anymore because we know what it's about.

On the bright side, today was my eighteenth birthday, which means that I am finally a legal woman. I have been waiting for this day for a long time. Mainly just so I could go rub it in Leo's face because I'm a year older than him. I can't wait to annoy the crap out of him all day long.

To kick off my birthday, Chase wanted to have some alone time before we did our group training session of the week. We decided to start doing group training sessions when Leo became a mentor because we thought it would be a good idea for all of us and the students to all be together. For our alone time, Chase went to the mainland and surprised me with tons of breakfast burritos from my favorite diner. I love that boy so much, it's unreal.

"I'm going to say this again," I said while stuffing my face, "I love you so much, and you are the best boyfriend at one time. I can't believe I couldn't stand you when I first met you."

Chase just laughed and smiled before pulling me closer to him with the arm he had around my shoulders. Then, he just shrugged and said, "Don't worry, the feeling was mutual."

"I'm serious!" I laughed at him while continuing, "Remember that one time where I whacked you in the stomach with a boa staff? I'm surprised I didn't make you puke or something."

"That's not as bad as the time I started a screaming match with you about scarfing toast down your throat, and that same night, I got all mad at you for throwing gummy frogs at Adam. I think that was mainly because I was a little jealous of Marcus," He told me.

"Well, I was too busy insulting you to even notice that you were jealous," I said to him.

He gave me a confused look and said, "You still insult me sometimes?"

"Babe, you know I'm just kidding and it's all out of love," I replied before giving him a kiss on the cheek, which made him smile. Then, I pointed out, "Remember that one time where I helped Bree and Tasha prank you and Adam, and you both ended up in sour milk and expired meat?"

"How could I forget that? However, there have been so many times where I haven't listened to you and ended up actually being the idiot. Like the time you told me to not do anything stupid to prove my worth, but ended up getting stuck in an avalanche. Or the time you told me not to bring the camera crew to the mission site and the whole world ended up hating us. You're the only person that's managed to make me look like an idiot," He admitted to me, which surprised me. A whole lot.

I just gave him a look before laughing and agreeing, "Fine, we've both done some pretty bad things to each other over the years. The good thing is that we found each other now and we're happy now, right?"

He smiled down and me adoringly, "Absolutely."

He leaned down and pressed a light kiss on my lips. I was caught off guard, but then I reached up, grabbed the back of his head, and pulled him in again. He smiled into the kiss as he used his free hand, grabbed the side of my face, and pulled me as close as he could. After a few moments, we pulled away. I couldn't help, but laugh happily, which made him grin from ear to ear.

The two of us were currently curled up together on the couch in the mentors quarters, watching Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and eating breakfast burritos. It was nice that the two of us have some alone time. Luckily, Adam, Bree, and Leo agreed to prepare the lesson for today so Chase and I could do this. We were at the part where Hermione makes her grand entrance at the Yule Ball.