Chapter 10

Rhea's POV

A few days later and I was right as rain. It didn't stop Jas from worrying about me though. Carlisle had to reassure him multiple times that I was perfectly healthy. Alice even tried to ease his worries but he didn't believe either of them only what he could see when he looked at me. On a happier note, Bella and Edward were officially a couple. Everyone at school was jealous.

One Tuesday afternoon Bella was driving us to the diner for dinner with Dad. We were at the Cullens working on our projects. However, Jas and I spent the majority of our time snuggling in his room. I was laying on the bed with my head on his chest as he read to me from one of his civil war history books. Every now and then he would ad lib something that the authors got wrong.

I opened the car door to see Mike and his athlete friends being stupid. Mike walked up to Bella and starting talking about Edward. I ignored him and continued on my way inside the diner. I apologized for being late and gave Dad a kiss on the cheek before sitting down on his left. Bella walked in and sat down just as Cora brought our food to our table. She set down a salad in front of Bella, set of chicken strips and curly fries in front of me, and set a steak in front of Dad.

"Say, Chief, boys want to know, you find anything down by Queets River today?" Cora asked. The loggers sitting at the table beside us were not so subtly listening.

"The suspect's moving East. Kitsap County Sheriff is taking over from here. They're putting extra guys on," Dad answered all those listening.

"Hope they catch him fast."

Bella and I shared a knowing look. Vampires killed Waylon and no one was ever going to know. I looked in the window behind Bella to see Mike humping a tree outside. I rolled my eyes and gave my head a small shake. I poured some ketchup on my plate and began eating my fries.

Dad must have noticed because he said, "Your friends are flagging ya. It's okay if you want to join them. I'm just gonna turn in early anyway."

"Yeah, me too," Bella said and I nodded my head in agreement. Jas and Rose were out hunting for the night so they weren't gonna be back till later.

"Bella it's Friday night. Go out. The Newton boy's got a big smile for ya."

"Yeah, he's a good buddy."

"What about any of these other yahoos in town? Anybody interest ya."

"Are we really gonna talk about boys?"

"Guess not. How 'bout you, Rhea? Anybody, you like?"

I felt a subtly heat rise in my cheeks and I kept my gaze on my food. "One. His name's Jasper. Dr. Cullen's his dad," I answered feeling the heat rise even more.

"I see," Dad muttered clearly not happy that I have a crush.

"Don't worry Dad. He's got an old soul, a real gentleman."

"I'm a dad. It's my job to worry about my children."

After that, we ate in peace. The only sound was us munching on our food and Bella's fork scraping against her bowl. Once our dishes were cleared Cora set a berry cobbler with two forks in between Bella and Dad and a small bowl of vanilla ice cream with chocolate chips in front of me. We ate our deserts, Dad paid the bill, and we went home. On the ride back I asked Bella why she didn't tell Dad about Edward. She snapped at me saying that it was none of my business.

Once she parked I walked upstairs to my room before starting my homework. A few hours later I walked downstairs to get a drink of water. As I was walking by Bella's room I heard Bella talking on the phone with Renee. She told Renee about Edward before abruptly hanging up. I walked closer to ask if everything was okay but I turned around as soon as I heard Edwards voice. I swiftly walked back to my room and to my surprise, Jas was sitting at my desk with a pencil in his hand.

"Can I help you?" I asked walking over to him but not before closing my door.

He wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled me on his lap so we were chest to chest. "I missed you," was all he said.

I wrapped my arms around his neck. "You saw me a few hours ago."

"A few hours too long."

"And what if my Dad caught us right now?"

"He's focused on the Mariners game playing."

"And you know this how?"

"I can hear him darlin'."

"Jas, I really need to get my homework done." I looked over at my desk to find the worksheets done. "What?..."

"Already done."

I tightened my hold on his neck and mumbled 'thank you' giving him a hug. He simply laughed and tightened the arms resting on my waist. We pulled apart slightly and I caught Jas looking at my lips. He opened his mouth to explain but I leaned and kissed him before he could get a word out.

Fireworks erupted behind my closed eyes. It wasn't fueled by lust but love. He flashed us over to my bed. I was resting on my back as he hovered over me. Slowly, almost reluctantly he pulled back. He gave my lips a short peck before moving to rest against my headboard. We snuggled on my bed. I was under the covers and Jas was laying on top of them. I rested my head on his chest and tried to control my breathing.

"I can't ever lose control with you," Jas said playing with a tendril of my hair. "It would kill me if I ever hurt you."

"I trust you," I whispered cuddling deeper into his embrace. I felt Jas move to turn off my lights before coming back to me. I closed my eyes and let the serene moment lull me to sleep.