Chapter 11

Outfit
Rhea's POV

Late, one Saturday afternoon, Rose called me and asked if I wanted to play baseball with her and her family. I instantly accepted before asking for the details such as what to wear, what time to be ready, if I was meeting her somewhere, etc. She told me to dress warm and to be ready in an hour. She also told me that Jas was going to pick me up. After we hung up I got dressed in a pair of black jeans, a white t-shirt, and I grabbed my pair of white sneakers. Rose told me that she had an old jersey that I could borrow. I left my blonde hair down and grabbed a black baseball cap. I walked downstairs, Bella right in front of me. I followed her and took a seat beside Dad who was cleaning his shotgun.

"I have a date with Edward Cullen," Bella said handing Dad another beer.

Dad made a face, "Isn't he a little old for you?"

I let out a small chuckle knowing just how much older Edward is than Bella. Bella shot me an icy glare before saying, "I'm a junior, he's a junior. Besides I thought you liked the Cullens."

"And I thought you weren't interested in any of the boys in town."

"Edward doesn't live in town. Technically. He's waiting outside. He wants to meet you. Officially." Dad cocks his shotgun. "Be nice, okay? He's... important." Dad makes a halo around his head and Bella walks off to answer the door.

"Hey, Dad. Rose invited me to play baseball with her so you will have the house to yourself," I said grabbing a jacket from the coat rack.

"Have fun. Watch out for your sister for me?" Dad asked standing up from the table.

"Will do."

Edward and Jas walked through the door and Jas's hand immediately found mine.

"Chief Swan. I wanted to formally introduce myself. I'm Edward Cullen," Edward spoke holding out his hand for Dad to shake it. Dad did so but reluctantly.

"And I'm Jasper," Jas said holding out his hand as well. Dad shook his hand without hesitation. Clearly, he liked Jas better and that made me smile.

"We won't keep them out too late. We're just going to play baseball with my family," Edward explained.

"Bella's gonna play baseball?" Dad asked shocked. I looked over at Bella to see her equally surprised.

"Yes sir, that's the plan. She'll be safe with me, sir, I promise."

"Rhea will be perfectly safe as well," Jas said as Edward forgot that I was going as well.

Dad nodded letting us go. The boys went back outside to the car as Dad held us back for a moment. He asked each of us if we still had out pepper spray. Bella chided Dad but I held mine up to show him. He gave me a peaceful smile before handing Bella hers. I gave him a quick hug and he placed a soft kiss on my forehead before I ran to catch up with Bella who was already storming out the front door. Once I was outside I noticed the boys and Bella standing by Emmett's jeep.

"Your father thinks you both should go to an all-girls school," Edward said holding the door open for Bella. I rolled my eyes and proceeded to ignore him. Jas had to help me get into the lifted jeep before he sped around to his side.

"No fair, reading Charlie's mind like that," Bella muttered fiddling with her seatbelt.

Edward drove us through the forest to an empty field. Jas, once again, had to help me get out of the jeep. We walked closer to the others. You could faintly see three bases with lines connecting each one making a baseball diamond. Rose and Carlisle were playfully hitting each other as everyone else lined up.

"Since when do vampires like baseball?" I heard Bella ask Edward behind us.

"It's the American pass time. Plus there's a thunderstorm coming. It's the only time we can play. You'll see why," Edward answered her.

Esme walked over to the two of us, "Good thing you're here. We need an umpire."

"She thinks we cheat," Emmett said.

"I know you cheat Emmett," I said still tucked into Jasper's side. "I think I'll be a cheerleader for now." I gave Jas a quick kiss on the cheek before walking over to Rose to give her a hug. She returned the hug before taking her place at home base. I sat down on a log and waited for it to begin.

"It's time," Alice said before hurling the ball at Rose. Thunder cracked above us hiding the loud thwap of Rose's swing. The ball zoomed past Alice's head and Edward disappeared from the field. Rose blurred around the bases and just as she was about to hit home the ball flew into Esme's gloved hand. Once both women stopped moving they looked to Bella.

"You're out?" Bella asked unsure. Esme confirms Bella's decision and Rose stalks over to me. Carlisle pats her shoulder as she passes. He hits the ball and takes off running. The blurs of Edward and Emmett both jump for the ball. They collide just as thunder passes overhead masking the sound. Carlisle's safe.

Jasper's up next. He twirls the metal bat in his hand, showing off. I let loose a small giggle and he looks back at me and winks. Alice pitches a fastball and Emmett climbs a tree and catches it before throwing the ball back to Alice.

"My monkey man," Rose comments as she walks back up to bat.

She hits it, takes off running but before anyone runs after it Alice yells, "Stop!" Everyone runs back to us, Jas immediately holding me close to him. "They were leaving, then they heard us," Alice explained.

"Let's go," Edward said grabbing Bella's arm.

"It's too late," Carlisle intervened.

"What's going on?" I quietly asked Jas.

"Nomads," he answered. "I won't let them hurt you."

"I trust you." I wrapped my arms around his middle and let him hold me.

I heard soft footsteps approaching us. "Here," Rose said pulling me from Jas, "switch with me." She took my jersey and I took her vest. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Bella taking down her hair and switched caps with Alice. "Like that will help," Rose commented walking towards Emmett. "I can smell her from across the field."

Jas tucked me behind him and Ryan maintaining contact the whole time. I knew whatever was coming was not going to be good. We stood in a line protecting Bella and me from the danger to come.