Ch. 20

Draco couldn't help looking at the clock every quarter hour once he got home, waiting until just before seven o'clock to disapparate from the end of his walkway. He landed shortly after just outside of Hermione's house and smiled up at the building. He was still surprised that she had agreed to the larger house; given that it was just her there, he wondered what she did with the rest of the space.

As he knocked on the door, he grinned to himself as he thought about her turning at least two of the five spare bedrooms into a library. The door opened and Hermione raised an eyebrow at him.

"What's that look for?" She asked, unable to hold back her own smile.

He shook his head and stepped in after she moved aside to allow him room and he said, "I was just wondering if you've dedicated one of the rooms to your collection of books yet."

She laughed as she shut the door and pointed upstairs towards one of the visible doors just off the staircase. "Actually yes, I have!"

"Just one? I'm shocked!"

They both laughed at that as they walked into the kitchen together and Hermione went to the cabinet to grab a couple of wine glasses for the two of them. Draco looked around and noticed that the lights seemed much brighter than before, and there was also now a low hum that wasn't there before.

"Did you change something?" He asked, looking around more.

"Yes," She smiled. "I had an electrician come out. No more gas lamps!"

He gave her a confused look and she laughed slightly. "Remember when I said that muggles run off electricity? Well, now I do too, so I can use things like the coffee maker and the microwave."

"Micro...?" He shook his head. "You're going to have to slowly teach me everything."

"I don't expect you to learn everything tonight," She said as she reached beneath the counter and pulled out a bottle of wine.

"What in Merlin's name is that annoying humming noise?" He asked, looking around everywhere for the source.

"Humming noise?" She paused and listened to what he was referring to before realizing what it was. "Oh, that's the sound of the fridge. Don't worry, you'll barely notice it soon enough."

"I seriously doubt that," He muttered, leaning against the counter and facing her as she resumed pouring the wine. "Remember, I have a heightened sense of hearing."

"I didn't forget; I just wasn't sure how heightened it was. I've got something that can help though," She said with a smile, handing him a glass before disappearing into the living room.

There was a shuffling noise and then the sound of music drifting quietly into the kitchen. It wasn't too loud, but loud enough that he noticed he was no longer hearing the humming noise. She gave him a smile as she returned to the kitchen and asked, "Better?"

"Much, thank you." He smiled at her and then asked, "So...shall we continue our conversation from earlier?"

Hermione hesitated answering, instead taking a drink from her glass and then sighing. "I guess we should, yes."

He frowned and tilted his head slightly. "What's wrong?"

She leaned against the counter opposite him and chewed on the inside of her cheek as she put her thoughts together. "Well, you know that my divorce process is going to be starting soon. Hopefully."

"Hopefully?" He raised an eyebrow.

She nodded and sighed. "Yes, there's the matter of actually getting Ron to sign the papers. Though Harry did say that he would make sure Ron signed them."