Ch. 35

Ginny paced back and forth down the hallway outside of Hermione's closed room, chewing anxiously on her fingernails. It had already been half an hour since she had brought Hermione to St. Mungo's, and there was no update on Hermione's condition. The waiting was driving her insane.

As much as she tried to push down the guilt, it still returned in waves every few moments as she remembered the look on Hermione's face. And then there was the blood...shivers ran down her spine as she remembered seeing Hermione's bloodstained shirt from holding her injured arm against herself. She paused and stared up at the ceiling in frustration, trying to hold back tears. She had caused her best friend to be bitten by a werewolf, and now she didn't even know if Hermione was going to survive.

The sound of hurried footsteps caught her attention and she looked to see Blaise turn the corner and look around. When he spotted her he immediately raced towards her and she fell against him, finally releasing the sob she was holding in as he wrapped his arms around her.

"It's all my fault!" She cried, burying her face into his shirt. "She wouldn't have gotten hurt if I hadn't distracted her!"

He pulled away slightly and she saw the worried look on his face as he said, "Ginny, you can't think like that. This wasn't anyone's fault; she happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time."

"But I made her look away from him!" Ginny wiped her face roughly and looked back at the door to Hermione's room. "She wasn't paying attention to what he was doing!"

"And you know that she would not want you to blame yourself for this," Blaise said gently before gesturing towards the chairs against the wall. "Here, let's sit down and try to calm you down a bit."

He led her over to the chairs and she sat down, immediately putting her head in her hands. "She's going to hate me if she lives through this..."

"Stop that," He said firmly. "Hermione's going to live through this, you know that, and she will never hate you."

Ginny was quiet for a few moments before she took a ragged breath and sighed it out. "I'm really scared, Blaise."

Reaching to gently rub her back, he sighed. "I know; I am too."

They sat in silence for a few moments before she took another deep breath and sat up, looking over at him confusedly. "How are you here right now? Shouldn't you be with...?"

She didn't want to say Draco's name for fear of someone hearing but Blaise understood who she was referring to.

"I put an incarcerous spell on him and cast so many shields that Umbridge herself couldn't blast her way through," He said with a half-smile. "I watched Hermione as she put her shields up that first time she spent a full moon with him, and I took a page from her book while doing mine. He'll be alright there and there's no chance he'll get out."

The door to Hermione's room suddenly opened and they both perked up immediately as three Healers in lime green robes filed out with the last one stopping in front of them.

"Could you two please join me in the room?" He asked, gesturing back towards the open door.

They stood up and Ginny quickly walked into the room, looking sadly at her friend who was currently lying in the bed unconscious. Her right arm was bandaged between her wrist and elbow, but other than that she looked normal. The Healer shut the door behind him and sighed as he stopped at the foot of Hermione's bed.

"We have sealed the wound with powdered silver and dittany, and while it was a deep wound, Miss Granger will pull through," He explained.

A small wave of relief hit Ginny but she crossed her arms and leaned against Blaise as she asked, "She's going to be a werewolf now though, right?"