Ch. 40

"Hermione, sweetheart..." Draco rubbed the back of his neck with uncertainty as he watched her quickly bolt through her house in a last-ditch effort to clean up. "...Are you sure this is a good idea?"

"Absolutely!" She said brightly as she straightened the books on her living room bookshelf with a wave of her wand.

He sighed and stuffed his hands in his jean pockets, looking down at his outfit before looking at hers. "And you don't think you're underdressed for this?"

"I told you, love, it's a casual event," Hermione said with a reassuring smile as she walked past him into the kitchen. "Everyone else is going to be wearing the same thing as I am!"

He chuckled as he turned around to watch her, smiling to himself. He couldn't deny that she looked absolutely adorable in her pink and grey flannel sleep pants with a matching grey shirt.

"And you believe that after today everything is going to be fixed?" He asked as he leaned against the doorway and raised an eyebrow at her.

"Not that it'll be fixed necessarily, but at least better," She said as she mixed more champagne into the orange juice. "All I want is for them to interact in a neutral environment and for Molly to see just how much Blaise and Ginny love each other. I just hope this will be enough..."

Draco stared at the large bowl of mimosa and said in disbelief, "There's absolutely no way that isn't enough!"

She let out a laugh and said, "Draco, I think you forget how many people are going to be here!"

Almost on cue a ringing noise was heard throughout the house and Hermione jumped as Draco looked towards the front door with a slight growl.

"Oh, stop that!" She chastised as she playfully scowled at him and walked out of the kitchen.

She paused just in front of the door and sighed quickly before reaching for the door handle and turning it, grinning at the person on the other side of the door. "Hi Harry!"

Draco immediately poked his head around the corner with raised eyebrows. "You invited Potter?"

Harry stepped into the house with a grin, giving Hermione a side hug. He was dressed very comfortably in black sweatpants and a gray v-neck shirt, and he kicked off what Draco could only assume were black fuzzy slippers.

"Wow, 'Mione, this is beautiful!" He said as he looked around the house.

"Thank you!" Hermione smiled widely as she led him into the kitchen. "Draco picked it out for me!"

Harry raised an eyebrow to the blond who had moved to the other side of the counter and now had an arm wrapped somewhat protectively around Hermione.

"You have great taste, Malfoy," Harry said with a nod. Then he looked Draco up and down with a raised eyebrow. "First brunch, eh? 'Mione, didn't you tell him the dress code?"

"I did, but he insisted on dressing somewhat nicely," Hermione sighed, smiling up at Draco.

"I didn't think anyone would actually show up in sweatpants and slippers," Draco said with a shrug. "Apparently I was wrong."

"You still have time to go and change," Hermione said. "The others won't be showing up for a little while longer."

"I'm pretty sure I have some options here, let me go check." Draco gave her a kiss on the cheek before leaving the kitchen and walking up stairs.

Harry was grinning mischievously at Hermione when she looked back at him, and she scrunched her nose up playfully at him.

"Spending the night together already?" He teased.