Ch. 47

The gala quickly arrived, being the Saturday after Christmas. Narcissa had insisted that Hermione and Draco both get ready at Malfoy Manor that day, and Hermione quickly realized exactly why Narcissa was so insistent about that.

"Let's see..." Narcissa hummed as she inspected her wardrobe. "The unfortunate thing about you is that you will look good in everything, so it will be hard to pick something."

Hermione gave a nervous laugh from her spot at the foot of the bed. "I won't look good in everything..."

"Nonsense, you're absolutely beautiful!" Narcissa said with a smile as she turned to look at the younger witch. "I have a piece that I think you might like."

"What's wrong with the dress I was going to wear?" Hermione asked curiously, nodding towards the long light-blue dress that was hanging against the back of the bedroom door.

Narcissa glanced towards the dress with a frown, her eyes raking over the piece as she tilted her head back and forth. "There's nothing wrong with the dress per se...it just isn't quite extravagant enough for this event."

Hermione blinked and looked at the dress. "That isn't extravagant enough?"

With a wide smile, Narcissa went to Hermione and gently patted her hand. "Trust me, dear; Malfoy galas are very flashy and full of life. That is a beautiful dress, yes, but it will do nothing for you. You need something that will make everyone see you."

She walked away then towards her closet with a smile, continuing with, "I have a piece that I've never worn; I've never been daring enough to wear it but I think you might like it."

"That sounds like something very much not my style," Hermione said nervously. "I'm not exactly a daring person, Narcissa."

There was a scoff from the closet. "My knowledge of your past begs to differ."

Hermione couldn't help but smile at this as Narcissa reappeared with a garment bag draped across her arm and a wide smile across her face. "Let's take care of your hair and makeup first before you try this on."

"That makes me even more nervous for what it is," Hermione said with a nervous laugh.

Narcissa waved her off as she laid the garment bag down on the bed and gestured towards the large vanity against the wall. "Don't worry; I know you'll absolutely love this outfit!"

Hermione stood up from the bed and went to sit down in the chair in front of the large, ornate mirror, smiling slightly. She was still amazed by how close she and Narcissa had become, especially considering just how recently it had happened. Draco was very happy that Narcissa had come to accept Hermione and even joked that he thought his mother liked Hermione more sometimes, which always made Hermione laugh.

"What do you think you'd like to do with your hair?" Narcissa asked, standing behind Hermione and looking at her through the mirror. "Your hair's a bit longer than it was before so we can play around with it more."

Hermione ran a hand through her hair while she hummed. "Maybe something pulled back? I don't think I'll want my hair in my face tonight."

"Probably a good idea," Narcissa nodded as she began to play with Hermione's hair.

To Hermione's surprise, it didn't take long for Narcissa to put her hair up into a simple yet beautiful style; the front of her hair was teased slightly for lift and then pulled into a loose braid that tucked into itself into a low faux-bun. It was a very loose style that she rather liked, though she was worried that it would come apart as the night went on.

"It's beautiful, Narcissa," Hermione said happily as she turned her head from side to side to get a better look at it. "Thank you!"

"You're very welcome," Narcissa smiled warmly. "I've become rather fond of more relaxed styles of hair lately."