Chapter 2

The white wolf stared at me for a few second before speaking in a feminine, but powerful voice. "Shift." She commanded me.

I looked up a little and tilted my head to the side in confusion as I tried to think of what this huge wolf wanted me to do. I was expecting to either be told to leave or attacked. But with one word this new wolf had already confused me.

"Shift." The massive wolf said again, but this time she added a growl to it, obviously getting impatient.

"I'm sorry." I replied as meekly as I could so the white wolf knew I wasn't attempting to challenge her. "But I have no idea what you want me to do. I've never heard of the word shift before."

The white wolf studied me with her brilliantly dark blue eyes for a bit after that, noting the wounds on my legs and back and the teeth marks still present on my throat. Before relaxing just a tiny bit.

"What is you name?" She asked me, still looking like she was thinking and studying me.

"My name is Eva of the Shallow Waters pack." I told her truthfully. "Well I was of the Shallow Waters pack until last night, I ran away from the new Alpha because he was going to make us breed with him then let us starve."

I realized I was rambling on and supplying way more information than was required, but I was honestly scared at the size of this wolf.

"Hmmm," was all she said in response before pausing. "Are you a wolf or a were?"

"I'm a wolf, but what's a were?" I couldn't help but asking.

"Don't worry about it, my name is Grace." The white wolf introduced herself, although she didn't tell me what her rank was. "Are you going to be ok with those injuries of yours?"

"I should be okay, I didn't mean to enter your territory. I was simply really thirsty. If you let me go I promise that I'll never cross your borders again." I begged Grace as I prayed she wasn't going to hurt me.

Grace's blue eyes had a faraway look for a minute or two before she respond. "I don't think I'm going to let you go and even if I did, I don't think you'd last very long with wounds like those. You're currently unable to hunt. So if you come with me to our den then you can stay until you're feeling better. If you still want to leave after that then you may."

I couldn't believe my ears. "So you're not going to hurt me?" It was almost to good to be true.

"No, we're not in the habit of hurting wolves that clearly aren't a threat to our pack." Grace replied, reminding me that I was barely a threat to a bunny rabbit in my current condition.

"However you should know that we live alongside humans, but they won't hurt you." Grace informed me.

I backed up while my belly was still on the ground, my ears flat against my skull. I'd heard many things about humans and none of them were good. I highly doubt these humans would be any better.

"If you don't like it then you're welcome to leave, but once you do please be aware that any attempt to re-enter our territory will be viewed as hostile and you will be killed on sight." Grace said. She didn't sound menacing or evil when she said it, she was simply stating a fact.

"Are you sure they won't hurt us?" I asked still afraid. Grace may be big, but could she really protect an entire pack against humans?

"I'm really sure." Grace assured me. "All the humans there have even discovered how to talk with pack members in our minds, We call it mind link."

This caused me to open my mouth in amazement and let me tell you, it's not something a wolf does very often.

Grace came to a decision for me and came over to me to help me up with her head. She then let me use her for support as we started our for her packs den, or pack house as Grace called it.