Chapter 7

"I'm so jealous of you two." Beverly whined at Saffron and Derrick as we all sat on the couches in the tree house. I was lying down next to Beverly with my head resting on my paws while Saffron and Derrick were cuddled up on the couch opposite us.

Derrick rolled his eyes slightly as Beverly continued without noticing. "I want to find a soulmate. A person who is just for me to love forever." Beverly had a dreamy look on her face as she spoke. Apparently the idea of mates was romantic to some humans.

"I thought you and Jarred were getting really close? I actually expected you two to be dating by now." Saffron asked her friend.

Beverly's face went from dreamy to angry in an instant. "I thought so to." Beverly replied, venom lacing her words. "But apparently Jess was getting really close to him as well and he asked her out. Jarred played both Jess and I. Jess wasn't very happy when she found out either." Beverly smiled at the last sentence.

"This girl wears her emotions on her face with no filter." I thought quietly to myself.

"Well I'm not a werewolf and therefore don't get a mate as well so we can be lonely together." I interjected into the conversation.

"See? It's not just me that hates that werewolves get the perfect mate to love and the rest of us have to deal with the rest of the morons that call themselves teenagers or young adults." Beverly said, not quite realizing that she answered my question when five minutes ago she couldn't understand me.

Although it was a fact that didn't slip past the rest of us that were present.

"I thought you couldn't understand Eva?" Saffron questioned as Derrick looked thoughtfully at Beverly and I.

"I can't." Beverly relied. "Which really sucks, Eva sounds so amazing and I can't even speak to her."

"Um, yes you can." I said to Beverly.

"No I can't." Beverly replied without looking at me.

"Yes you can." I replied again with a bit more force behind it.

Beverly turned around to me before replying. "NO i can'-" Beverly stopped halfway through her sentence as she realized she was arguing with me. "But, how can I understand you now?" She questioned.

"I have no idea." I replied with a lopsided grin. "But it's nice to be part of the conversation again. I'm Eva and it's a pleasure to meet you Beverly. Also to answer your question from earlier, yes you may pat me. Just be gentle when you do it.

"It's nice to meet you to Eva." Beverly introduced herself properly as she reached a hand over to run it through my silver fur. "Saffron was right about you." I raised my eyebrows in question at Beverly and Saffron before Beverly continued. "You are far more polite than basically any human I've ever met."

This made me smile as I relaxed into the pats and ear scratches I was receiving from Beverly.

"How is this possible?" Derrick muttered to himself as he thought. "I'd never have thought that humans that weren't part of the pack wouldn't be able to understand the wolf language so easily."

"I didn't understand her at first." Beverly said while still running her hand through my soft fur. "Then all of a sudden it was like we'd always been communicating. I still can't believe that I'm talking to an actual wolf. If all wolves are this well mannered then I want to go live with a wild wolf pack."

Derrick chuckled. "Unfortunately Eva here is the exception to most natural wolves. I can tell you from the wolves that we've tried to bring into the pack in the past that all of them haven't been  as accepting as Eva here with the idea of a werewolf pack. They can't seem to understand that there is more to life in our pack than fighting, having fur to keep you warm, hunting, mating to make pups and the power structure in a pack."