Chapter 26

The room was silent as the four people who were not present for Aurora's explanation of my heritage digested the information I'd just given them.

"So you're saying," Tom said after a minute or two of silence. "That a creature that doesn't even exist in this dimension, is helping the wolf of a royal who was executed five years ago, to mutilate our pups in order to create an army?"

"Well when you want to break it down to it's simplest form, then yes. That's exactly what I'm saying." I responded confidently.

"I know you believed yourself to be a wolf for most of your life Eva. But even so, do you know how ridiculously insane that sounds?" Tom said gently, like he was trying to insult me and reassure me at the same time.

"It's not insane at all and it's very much the truth." Grace said from just behind me as Detsy voiced her agreement as well.

Tom, Cynthia and Alpha Leyton didn't looked convinced. At least Luna May appeared to be keeping an open mind.

"Ok then, for argument's sake let's say that everything you just said was true." Tom continued after a pause. "You do realize that it would mean a war is coming. Not a small one either, lots of people would die."

"Yes." Grace answered for us immediately. "Which is why we need to start preparing for it now. the sooner we start the less people will die. You were the one that taught me preparation in war that can't be avoided is the best way to keep our people alive dad."

"I'm sorry Grace. But I simply can't order the werewolves to prepare for a war I don't believe is going to happen." King Tom informed his daughter, much to her disgust. "There is simply no proof that this is what's been going on other than the word of you three."

"What if I could get you the proof you need?" I interjected before Grace snapped at her father, making things worse.

"How are you planning to prove something that no one has any evidence of Eva?" King Tom asked me slightly puzzled.

"By forcing the only person who has actually been around Alpha Tim for any length of time to talk." I replied with a grin that was slightly evil. "Is Beta Nathan, the wolf that survived the attempted abduction of Cody, still locked up in the cells beneath the pack house?"

"Yes he's still down there." Alpha Leyton told us. "But he's only alive because we force him to eat, he hasn't said a single word since he was captured. Doctor Rory did a scan on his brain and found that he'd ingested some sort of drug that destroyed his higher brain functions. How are you planning to get someone that is basically brain dead to talk?"

"Quite easily actually." I replied with a cocky grin. "If we head down to his cell then I'll show you."

"Oh I have to see this." Queen Cynthia said. "Please lead the way Alpha Leyton."

Alpha Leyton didn't have to be told twice as he jumped and and led us out the door, downstairs and into the small dungeon that was actually a collection of rather comfy rooms that had bars around them. The only obstacle to getting in was the single guard that was assigned to the luxury jail.

Seeing how motivated Alpha Leyton was in heading to the jail I realized that I'd just promised that I could get the answers he had wanted since we first captured Alpha Beta, I was so glad that I knew I could deliver on that promise right now.

Alpha Leyton stopped outside a room that was designed to house wolves instead of humans. The guard who had followed us inside opened the door at the request of his Alpha and the seven of us comfortably walked inside.

In the middle of the room with his back to us, was the shell of the wolf I used to know as Beta Nathan. His fur was completely ungroomed and it even appeared to be going a little grey. As well as he didn't even twitch when seven people entered his cell.