Chapter 27

I sat in the corner of the room as Aurora silently instructed me on the procedure to turn Saffron into a werewolf. Everyone else present, except her parents who were still huddled into the corner and scared out of their wits, was comforting Saffron.

"That's basically it for the technical side of it." Aurora said as she finished telling me how to sense someone's soul and how she would create a bridge between that soul and another, even if the second soul was in another dimension.

Apparently Aurora was also contacting the leader of the werewolf equivalents on the other side of the dimensional wall to arrange for Saffron to be linked with someone worthy. She had told me that they had the perfect candidate, they just needed to find them and seek their permission before Aurora and I bound the two souls together forever.

"What's it like having a wolf suddenly start talking to you in your head?" Saffron asked Derrick while also pulling me out of my private conversation with Aurora. Not that Aurora was talking to me much anymore, with her focus being on the other side of the dimensional wall.

"It's like having a best friend you never knew you had, appear in your head suddenly." Derrick tried to explain. "One moment you're alone in your thoughts and the next you can't figure out how you ever managed the loneliness without your wolf."

"I can't wait to meet mine." Saffron said eagerly. Which was amazing considering the girl was only weeks away from death's door and really didn't have any energy at all.

"Just remember that it's not all exciting and happy." Grace warned her. "The process of the first shift is so painful that you'll wish we'd just let you die before it's over."

"I will never hate you for saving my life." Saffron said confidently. "Although I'm trying not to think about the first shift just yet." She admitted.

"We'll all be here for you when it happens." Derrick told his mate while squeezing her hand in a reassuring manner. "Just like you were here for us whenever we needed you."

"I hate to interrupt the touching conversation that you're listening to." Aurora suddenly said in my mind. "But the other side will be ready in just over an hour to connect the two souls. You should also warn Saffron that if we want to save her life, then we can't wait until the full moon for her first shift. We're going to have to force the shift immediately after connecting them."

"Thanks for the warning." I replied to Aurora as I silently regretted having to be the bearer of bad news.

"Aurora and I be ready in an hour to turn Saffron." I announced to the group as they all went silent to listen to me.

"An hour?" Saffron questioned. "I thought it normally takes days to prepare the ceremony to be turned into a werewolf."

"Normally it does because there is a lot more involved in being turned than you may realize, but Aurora and I are rushing because your life is in danger." I replied.

I'd almost forgotten that no one here knew that it normally took days because the leaders on both sides of the dimensional wall had to locate candidates and explain what was about to happen to them. In this case, speed was of the essence and I would have to explain it to Saffron afterwards.

"I hate to be the bearer of even more bad news, but we're not waiting for the full moon for your first shift." I gravely informed the sick girl who was becoming even more pale the more I spoke.

"You won't get the werewolf healing ability until after your first shift. So even if you're still alive at the full moon in three weeks time, you'll be so weak that the shift will kill you. The solution is that I'm going to forced your first shift shortly after turning you." I informed Saffron.