III

"There's more than just us."

Negan said walking out of the cabin door. Hellen looked at him as she followed. There was more than just these two?

"We're called the Saviors."

Simon said putting his bag over his shoulder. Hellen arched a brow.

"Saviors?"

"You could join us. There's strength in numbers. We came this way scouting. Got caught in the rain and had to hunker down."

Simon spoke up again. Hellen frowned. She had been alone through this whole thing. She couldn't even remember what it was like being around actual people let alone grouping up with them.

"Simon. Let the girl breath a little. Fuck you're suffocating even me."

Negan joked. He hosted his bat up onto his shoulder as the three of them left the small cabin. Hellen walked with them for a ways.

"How big is your group?"

"About thirty or so."

Negan informed her. Hellen followed him. She didn't know why she was following him or the other man, but there was something in the pit of her stomach that made her want to go with him.

"That's a lotta people. And you all work together?"

"Work as best as most people can in a large group."

Simon glanced her way with a smile. Hellen looked to Negan and noticed he was just walking with his bat over his shoulder. These two were odd, but she couldn't blame them. After everything that happened happened everyone changed more or less.

"How do you take care of so many people?"

"Working together to survive ain't easy, but we manage."

It was a simple answer to a simple question. This Negan guy seemed to know what it took in order to stay alive. He wasn't some dumb guy that was acting as if he was reckless or would attempt to put other people in harm's way – not if he had that many people following him.

"And if I were to join?"

Negan smirked glancing over his shoulder toward her. That look on his face was one that had a sense of victory about it. He took his bat and moved her to his other shoulder while he walked along side with Simon not too far from him now.

"Then you'd be given a job just like everyone else. We work as a team. We'll help provide food for you and try to keep you safe."

"Like a second family..."

Hellen said under her breath, but Negan seemed to have heard her due to the change in his body language. Simon nodded looking ahead as the three of them came to a road. Apparently, they weren't far from where their group as Negan and Simon had been out scouting together.

"What's your game sister?"

Negan questioned. Hellen looked down the open road wondering if she should follow him and this man, Simon, to their group. She knew that he would probably use her to the knowledge of her skills with being a firefighter and what little medical advice she could give.

"What would my job be if I were to come with you?"

"Well, we'll have to end up figuring that out now won't we?"

Negan was now smiling as if he had just caught a big game and he was a starving man. It was kind of funny but at the same time unsettling for Hellen.

"I guess so..."

Negan shot a look over to Simon before walking forward having Simon follow directly behind him. Hellen stood there off in the grass side of the road for a moment debating on if she should just turn around right then and there or follow after the man who had helped her and gave her shelter during the downpour. Sighing deeply and ignoring the twisting gut feeling in the bottom of her stomach. So in doing so she put one foot in front of the other and carried on right behind the two men who she figured she would follow after.

Because what else did she have left to lose in all reality?