XXXIV

Their little group walked along the forest edge against the road. Daryl was beside Hellen walking as Michonne was in the front of the group now with Aaron.

"It's good to see you again."

Hellen spoke lowly to Daryl. The man beside her glanced at her, looking at her face that was turned toward him. His eyes turned back to the road.

"How've you been?"

She asked again.

"Alright."

He said shifting his crossbow in his arms. There was a silence between the two for a moment before Daryl looked back at her again.

"You?"

"I've been good. Thanks for asking."

She smiled at him which caused a nod after a long look at her face. Michonne glanced over her shoulder looking at Hellen before turning her head back toward Aaron and whispering something to him.

This of course didn't go unnoticed by either Hellen or Daryl.

"Somethin' happen?"

He asked knowing that something had gotten under Michonne's skin for whatever reason by the way she had looked at Hellen. Biting her bottom lip Hellen glanced at Daryl with a frown.

"Negan escaped his cell and shacked up with me for the night. Michonne found out and has been on my ass ever since."

Daryl grunted.

"How'd he get out?"

"It wasn't me if that's what you're asking. Negan said Gabe had left the gate unlocked after one of their heated talks."

"And he came to you instead of tryna escape?"

"Yeah."

She muttered adjusting her batton a little as she walked along side the hunter. Suddenly Michonne and Aaron both stopped causing the two in the back to stop as well. The reason being was because there was a small group of walkers on the bridge up ahead.

"Watch their hands."

Michonne said as she drew her katana. Hellen drew her baton while Daryl lifted his crossbow to take aim.

It was a quick fight and the walkers weren't all walkers. A few humans were there wearing the skins of the dead. Hellen had smacked one of them upside the head after dodging a blade to the abdomen. She knocked the young girl down causing her to lay up against the bridge on the inside.

Michonne, Daryl, and Aaron were all quick to her side to rip the mask off her face and see the young girl.

"Who. Are. You."

Michonne questioned but the girl didn't speak. Instead she looked at Michonne with wild eyes, something that caused Hellen to look right at her.

This girl who laid up against the wall of the bridge looked at all of them without fear and holding danger in her eyes while glancing at each of them.

"You kill me it won't matter."

She said harshly. Michonne narrowed her eyes.

"I won't ask you again!"

The girl looked wild between everyone before her eyes fell back onto Michonne.

This girl caused something in Hellen yo stir.

"We should take her back for questioning. It's obvious that what they're doing is insane. We might learn something from her."

Hellen said causing everyone to look at her.

"Killing her now and we lose that chance. Besides..."

Hellen said leaning down to the girl's eye level.

"I have ways of making people talk."