XXXVII

Negan sat in his cell all day as usual. The only difference today was his woman didn't come to see him. Just when he had begun to worry about her, Gabe walked inside with his dinner -- something Hellen would always bring him.

"Where is she?"

The first words out of Negan's mouth were about her. It was always about her. Gabe frowned and placed the tray of food next to Negan's cell bars.

"She's safe. She's with Daryl, Michonne, and Aaron at Hilltop."

Gabe explained looking with his one good eye at Negan. He noticed that Negan didn't relax at all and if anything only straightened his posture when he was told where she was and who she was with.

"Daryl huh? He's back? Kinda figured he left."

"It seems that he is back. Him and Hellen are bring tasked with making one of the people they caught today in the skins of the walkers talk."

"People dressing up as the dead? My girl was right. Holy hell."

Gabe lowered his head a little to look at Negan better.

"You're worried she's with Daryl?"

"My girl is loyal to the boot if that's what you're asking."

"It wasn't. I was asking if you're afraid of losing her to someone else."

Negan snorted and looked away from Gabe. He wasn't going to admit that. He wasn't going to admit that he was afraid of losing his girl, the only woman that ever truly cared about him aside from his first wife, was now at the forefront of his mind.

It was like a knife that was being twisted into his skull. That little voice that was whispering that she was going to leave him for Daryl. He seen the way Daryl looked at her when he was prisoner at the Sanctuary and he seen the kindness she tried to bestow upon him when he was locked up.

Negan was many things, but stupid he was not.

"You should let her go you know. Give her the chance to be with somebody who can be there for her."

Gabe went on tormenting Negan with his little talk. This wasn't the first time either. Gabe always said he just wanted the best for everyone, but Negan knew that was such crap.

"You're behind bars till who knows. Who knows if you'll ever get out or not. She doesn't deserve that."

He shook his head at Negan. Finally Negan turned his own head and looked at Gabe.

"But you see Gabe that's just the thing. She could have left me. She could have left when Daryl left the first time. But she didn't. My girl staid right here with me. She's here for me."

Sighing Gabe shook his head and chuckled.

"So why do you worry about her and Daryl being alone together?"

"That's none of your God damn business."

"Alright. Fair enough. But I think the reason why you worry so much about losing her to someone else is because you're afraid. You're afraid to be alone. You're afraid to die alone locked in this cell."

"And what about you and little baby momma -- "

"No. We're talking about you, not me."

Negan snorted and rubbed his eyes. He wasn't going to admit no matter how much he wanted to that Gabe might have been almost smack on the head with his theories. But there was more to it then just that.

"Alright. Then I guess we're done."

Negan said with a shrug. Gabe was still frowning as he looked at the man in the cell.

"You know she agreed to go on this expedition for you to try and get you on everyone's good side. She's out there dealing with dangerous and unknown people and for what? For someone who would rather she risk her life for him then be with someone else?"

"I never asked her to do it. She chose to go."

"But that's the thing, you didn't have to ask. Because she's wrapped around your little finger, Negan."

"I think I already told you this conversation was over."

Gabe snorted and licked his bottom lip before intertwining his fingers together in front of himself.

"Fine. If that's how you want this to go, we'll let it go. But sooner or later Negan, you'll come to see that you have to let her go."

Negan didn't reply instead he watched as Gabe left the tray of food for him and took his leave. Negan kept still up against the wall on his bed. His hand ran over his face as he sighed deeply. He couldn't believe how much the tables had turned. How much his girl was the one taking care of him now after all the years of watching and taking care of her.

But most of all he couldn't believe that he let Gabe's words get to him and cause him to start worrying about Daryl and Hellen.