XXXVIII

Chapter Warning: If you have children this might hit close to home.

Daryl hadn't made any headway with the girl. Hellen had even tried to get her to talk but it turned out that there wasn't a whole lot to get from her. Least that's what they both thought for a minute. Turns out that Henry, the boy locked in the cell beside her, had gotten her to talk a little bit about things.

Daryl and Hellen both sat outside the window to Henry's cell in the middle of the night listening in on their conversation. The both of them had been quiet for most the night listening. Hellen knew that they needed to get this girl to talk and tell them about the rest of her people.

"She didn't talk to you?"

Hellen asked which had Daryl shake his head. Sighing Hellen leaned her head back against the building behind her. Her eyes cast up to the stars.

"I think I might know how to get her to talk. You said she was hurt by family?"

"Yeah. What are you gonna do?"

Daryl asked as she rose from the ground.

"She won't give up her family because she doesn't know how a family is suppose to treat each other... Maybe I can get through to her if I talk to her."

Daryl looked up at Hellen watching as she went to the cellar door and opened it before descending down inside.

"Hello?"

Henry said to Hellen wondering who was there.

"Hey Henry."

Hellen greeted back as she walked over to the cell that held the girl. Hellen had her arms crossed over her chest. The room was quiet. The girl was over in the corner holding her knees looking up at Hellen. The fact that the look seemed to be the same look she had given Negan when she first seen him already hit a nerve with her.

"What's your name kiddo?"

Hellen asked leaning up against the brick wall to get better adjusted for this talk.

"What does it matter?"

"What does it matter? Kid it matters a hell of a lot. Do you have a name?"

"... Lydia."

"Lydia. Nice to meet you. I'm Hellen."

Silence fell between them as time passed ever so slowly. Inhaling deep she lulled her head to the side and looked at the wall of the cell right across from herself, Hellen frowned.

"Daryl told me that your people hurt you?"

"Yeah."

"Your dad?"

She didn't answer. Hellen bit her inner lip.

"No."

She answered. Hellen's eyes moved toward Lydia and seen that the girl was now looking down at her feet.

"Mom?"

"It's to make me stronger."

She snapped in a defeated manner. Hellen moved closer to the bars and wrapped her hands around them.

"Thomas."

She said causing Lydia to turn her head and look confused at Hellen.

"What?"

"That was his name."

Lydia just looked at Hellen as she exhaled a shaken breath.

"He was my whole world. He was four years old when this all happened. My son."

Lydia straightened a little.

"I loved him with all my heart. I did everything I could to try and get to him when this all started. But I was too late."

Hellen paused and wiped under her eye quickly to keep the tear from sliding down her cheek.

"A mother is meant to protect their child. No matter what happens. I would have traded places with him and still would if it meant that he would still be alive."

Lydia didn't say anything she just looked at Hellen. Squatting down to Lydia's level Hellen looked at the young woman.

"All we're asking is for you to tell us who you are, who your people are. Please."

Lydia looked at Hellen the young woman was biting her bottom lip. But then a small nod came.

"I'll tell you... tomorrow."

She admited to being able to help with something. Hellen smiled softly and nodded before she rose to her feet.

"Tomorrow then."

Leaving the cellar Hellen closed the doors behind her. As she turned she squeaked in surprise as Daryl was standing right there. He looked at her and even in the darkness she could see that he was pitting her.

"I don't want your pitty Daryl."

She said going to walk around him. He grabbed her forearm and kept her from leaving. She looked up at him and watched as he shook his head.

"M'not. You got her to talk. Thank you."

Hellen wiped her eye again with her free hand and looked away from him. He let her go and she walked back to her spot and took a seat.

The rest of the night was silence.