Chapter Eleven

I held Lilith's hand in my own, guiding her through the trees as we walked towards the graveyard. I wasn't truly inclined to touch her, I still felt off with the entire bond thing we had between us but every time I let her hand go she started to wander away from me. I didn't need that right now, we needed to get to the grave side and I couldn't let her wander around in her condition. People in the pack didn't know her, I didn't have time to explain it to everyone and I didn't want her to get hurt because she was alone in the forest and one of the patrols caught her. She wouldn't be able to adequately explain herself and I knew it would only cause problems and she could possibly get hurt because of it.

As much as I didn't like the fact I had been forced into this situation, that I essentially had my loved ones replaced by Mene, I wanted absolutely no harm to come to her. Lilith didn't ask for this bond anymore than I did and I wasn't going to punish her for it or let her get harmed because of it. I might not have wanted it but I would take my place as her mate seriously. I would do my best for her because to do anything less was unthinkable to me.

Lilith started humming as she walked beside me, her head down as she seemed to be focusing on her bare feet as she walked across the ground. I winced at that, I hadn't realized she was barefoot. "Do you want some shoes, Lilith?" I glanced around, trying to place where a cache would be so I could get her a pair of shoes.

"No, thank you. I'm okay. I like the energy of the earth on my feet." She said it lightly as she kicked a bit of the rich loam with her toes, giving an almost shy giggle as she did so. I shook my head slightly at the almost childish antics she was doing. I didn't know how to pinpoint her personality, she was all over the map. I didn't blame her, I truly didn't, but it made navigating around her difficult.

I gave another shake of my head as I looked through the trees, spotting the graveyard's edge. Even from our spot I could hear the murmur of everyone who had arrived and I could tell it was a fair few people. I inhaled deeply and steeled myself as we drew closer. I didn't want to fall apart in front of anyone but I knew that if others started, I wouldn't be able to stop the tears from coming.

There was a faint sound behind me and before I could whirled around Ezekiel brushed up against my leg with a low whine in his throat. I returned it with my own sound of acknowledgement that my wolf echoed in my chest. I reached down and patted his side, pressing him close as I did so. We were close, much closer than most people would have been but Ezekiel was like my family. You didn't spend nearly ten years running wild with someone and not have a close relationship with them.

He made another sound and leaned against me more as we walked and I echoed the sound, patting his side once more. "I know, Kiel, I miss her too." I swallowed hard and we breached the edge of the trees. Lilith inhaled deeply and sunk into my side as eyes landed on us. I gave her hand a faint squeeze but couldn't bring up any words of comfort to her as I spotted familiar faces in the crowd that had gathered around.

Maricella was the first to stumble towards me. Her eyes red and her cheeks tear stained as she gave a keening sound, her arms held out towards me as if seeking comfort. Her face crumpled and I pulled her close with one arm, keeping a firm grip on Lilith's hand as I did so. "It's too soon." She gave a small sob and I swallowed convulsively and looked up at the sky, trying to stem the tears from falling. I held her tighter as I set my jaw, trying hard to ignore the blurring in my vision.

"It's okay." My voice cracked on the words, exposing the lie but it was all I could give her in that moment, all I could say. She slowly pulled away, wiping at her eyes before she froze, her eyes on Lilith as she peeked out from around my back. Mari glanced up at me, her eyes spelling out the question she didn't need to ask. "This is Lilith, Mene has made me her mate to make up for what her last one did to her." I gave a small cough, trying to clear my throat.