Chapter Twenty-Six

A week later

My family had left this morning and I felt a heavy sadness within me at it. We had spent a wonderful week together, they had been introduced to the pack, and we had shifted and ran with everyone. We had simply been together and basked in each other's presence and love. They had pulled me back from the edge that Catherine's family had shoved me to, helping me through it with every bit of love they had. There was nothing that could ever replace those memories in my mind. I had been filled to the brim with the love that I hadn't had in so long that now that I knew it was gone it was hard. I knew they had their own lives back in Invigilo but a part of me wanted to keep them here, to keep them all with me.

I knew that my family had felt the same, the closer we had gotten to the date they were to leave, the more they clung to me, pulling me close and holding me tight. They even clung to Lilith, pulling her into their embraces as well. She had taken their expressions of love with smiles and returned affection. I had appreciated that, I had appreciated how gentle and loving they were with her and how they brought her into the family without hesitation.

However the house felt empty without my family. Every single day since they had come the house had been bustling with activity. There hadn't been a still moment other than when Lilith and I had laid down for bed. Even then, it hadn't been quite still. Lilith had taken to exploring my form. Since she had kissed me, she had been tentative but firm in her want to figure out just what she could do. I knew that the actions for her brought out some serious anxiety. I would simply place my hand on her back, holding it there to give her comfort and security. It showed her that while I was there with her, I wasn't going to move while she explored.

It wasn't uncomfortable for me, she never truly touched me in anyway that could have truly aroused me. Her fingertips traced the planes of my muscles across my body, her eyes intent as she watched her hands. There was nothing but a warm feeling of soft affection for her as she did her explorations. There were a few moments when she would stop and tell me that she said when and I would repeat it back to her. I hoped that the words gave her comfort, that they let her know that I would never do to her what Adam had done.

I wanted to make that up for her, to try and soothe some of the damage that Adam had done to her. I wanted her to know and understand that no matter how far she was willing to push her explorations that I would never do anything with out her say. Adam had forced himself on her, had convinced her that her body was his to use regardless of her consent. I never wanted her to think that I would ever do anything to her that she didn't consent to, she said when and it would always be that way between us.

After she was done her tentative exploration she always gave me kiss goodnight, thanking me with a sweet smile on her face. I could do nothing but hold her close after that. It left a strange dark feeling in my chest that she was thanking me for something so small as letting her explore her own boundaries without interference. I hated Adam for that, for making it so she felt the need to thank me for what was literally the bare minimum a mate needed to do.

Micheal, could you come to my office for a moment. May sounded slightly anxious and I immediately got up and headed for the door. I ignored Ezekiel's push of questioning and Luka's look as I headed out the door and down the stairs. If May was anxious, then something was wrong with Lilith and she needed me to come right away. I hurried towards her office, pushing open the door. I looked around almost frantically but Lilith was sitting on the couch looking almost confused while May's eyes were wide as she blinked.

"What's wrong?" I headed straight for Lilith and she turned to me with a smile, throwing her arms wide.

"Micheal!" She wiggled in her spot and I hugged her tightly, hastily checking her over as I did so but nothing seemed wrong.