Chapter 5

One by one, the boats begin to lower into the ocean - landing with loud splashes which cause the crew to yell in frustration as they are covered by water. The boat which I sit finally drops, the last of the handful crashing to the water. Behind me, I hear Eustace muttering something or other under his breath which causes me to roll my eyes in annoyance - the boy had made it rather obvious that the only reason he is joining us is to contact the British consulate. Slowly, Edmund and Caspian begin rowing the boat forward - the mechanism sailing toward the island that looms over us all. Avoiding all eye contact with Edmund, I watch as the island gets closer and the sunset becomes brighter - the colours illuminating the ancient buildings with slight magic. Yet, I furrow my eyebrows in confusion as my ears fall upon silence - no noises bouncing off walls nor echoing in the air. Not even any animal noises can be heard as the sun slips beyond the horizon. Before I can voice this, however, the boats come to a stop at the old dock of the island - a small jolt shaking through me as the wooden long boat hits the stone. Slowly in order not to fall, I shakily stand up and shuffle closer to the dock - ignoring the wobble of my legs due to the roughness of the water beneath me. One of the crew members lifts their hand in my direction and I gladly take it - lifting myself out of the boat and onto solid land. Sending the crew member a soft smile, I waltz further along the dock only for my foot to get caught on a loose stone - my body flailing forward and landing on the ground with a thud. I wince as an aching pain runs through my legs - a groan leaving my lips.

"On a boat, I'm fine. On land, I fall within the first few seconds."

Someone snorts at this, my attention lifting from the ground to see Edmund standing over me with his hand outstretched - a small smile on his face. A warmth settles within me, and I sigh in appreciation - letting the boy lift me to my feet with a slight heave. I can never stay away from the boy no matter how hard I desire - my mind always craving his presence. Sending Edmund an appreciative smile, I stand beside him as Lucy ushers toward us - Reepicheap by her side.

"Onward. The thrill of the unknown lies ahead."

Smiling at the mouse, I turn on my heel and walk even further down the dock - making my way toward what looks to be the only entrance into the town. However, I barely make it more than a few steps when Eustace's voice breaks the silent air.

"Couldn't it have waited for the morning?"

Rolling my eyes, wanting to remind him that he decided to tag along, I gaze over my shoulder to see the boy sitting in the boat - arms crossed and a sour look upon his face. Huffing and crossing my own arms, I spin on my heel once again - hearing Reepicheap try to convince the Scrubb boy to come along. I make a move to follow Caspian further away from the dock when he suddenly stops in his tracks - Lucy appearing beside me with a thoughtful gaze.

"Listen! Where is everyone?"

Everyone around stops muttering and murmuring - the silence becoming deafening, which causes me to gulp. A bad feeling settles in my stomach as the four of us begin walking again - the noise of the crew starting again. Among the sounds behind us, I hear Reepicheap let out a loud sigh of frustration.

"Come on jelly legs."

"I'm quite capable of doing it myself."

Eustace automatically replies, followed by a yelp and thud - my head snapping over my shoulder to see Eustace sprawled on the stone ground, his legs dangling in the boat. Its a humorous sight, especially as the boy brushes himself off as if nothing happened - his face brightly coloured red and eyes wide with embarrassment. Giggling softly to myself, I shake my head as the boy gets closer - just as Caspian's voice reaches my ears.