Chapter 9

Coriakin leads Lucy and I through the many halls of his mansion, the sunlight pooling in from the windows I hadn't noticed when originally wandering these halls. He isn't an Oppressor, his soft smile and pleasant voice indicating that as soon as he opened his mouth. I don't exactly know what those creatures were babbling on about, but he is a nice man that simply studies magic and the mysteries of Narnia. It's quite fascinating, and I desire to learn more when our quest is done. Suddenly, the man throws his mansion double doors open rather dramatically which causes me to laugh - reminding me slightly of Reepicheap if he were a human. I wander into the sunlight, basking in the warmth after such a cold night before giggling at the sight before me. The creatures in which had captured Lucy and I are now completely visible, and nowhere near as scary as they made themselves out to be. They're rather small things, hobbling on one extremely large leg and even larger foot - their faces rosy cheeked and hair curled to perfection. They are quite unconditionally cute, even with their large bellies and small beards. However, at the sight of us, they begin hopping backward - as though trying to escape Coriakin and his magic. As they do, I realise the entire crew have their swords at the ready - obviously prepared to fight the invisible creatures, but are now finding it quite humours. My eyes drift toward Caspian and Edmund whom both have relieved expression upon their faces - our weapons in their hands which brings a smile to my face.

"Lucy. Sophia."

Edmund sighs in relief, placing his sword back into its sheathe just as Caspian does the same. As the do, I notice Coriakin bowing respectfully toward the two - just as he had done to Lucy and I when he realised who we are. He comes to a stand with a small smile on his face, just as Lucy's voice echoes throughout the open space. 

"Caspian and Edmund, this is Coriakin." 

"It's his island."

I quickly add, as both boys seem slightly confused at who this strange man is with us. However, they bow in acknowledgment to which Coriakin objects - muttering something about royal standards, but I can't fully understand. However, the moment is interrupted by the gruff voice of the leader - my attention drawn toward him as he hops forward, his red hair blowing softly in the wind.   

"That's what he thinks. You have wronged us magician."

Coriakin rolls his eyes in slight frustration as he begins stalking toward the creatures - all of whom immediately start backing up in fear. It quite an amusing sight, really, trying to watch them manoeuvre themselves with only one giant foot.   

"I have not wronged you," Coriakin starts. "I made you invisible for your own protection."

At his words, the creatures begin protesting - causing up such a fuss that most of the crew members watch on with wide eyes and large grins. Coriakin, however, simply rolls his eyes before smiling what appears to be sarcastically - reaching into the pocket of his cloak and pulling out something white. I furrow my eyebrows in confusion, but watch nonetheless as Coriakin throws the white substance on the creatures - scaring them in the process.   

"Be gone."

And just like that, the creatures hop away in a mad dash to escape Coriakin - screaming things about spells and oppression, which is slightly amusing. As they disappears in the surrounding trees and shrubs, I hear Lucy giggle beside me. 

"What was that?"

The man turns his back on the last few creatures disappearing, a twinkle of amusement in his eyes as he answers Lucy's question.   

"Lint. But don't tell them that."

Snorting softly, I shake my head as I can still hear a few shouts bouncing through the trees - if only they knew. As Coriakin begins leading Lucy and I back into his mansion, Edmund and Caspian now by our sides, my attention is drawn to Eustace as he splutters in disbelief.