Chapter 15

As the Dawn Treader sails through the black rocks and green mist, we are submerged in darkness - the ships lanterns giving us practically no light at all. Gael is longer standing with her father, instead now secured between Lucy and I - the two of us gripping her shoulders tightly in a protective manner. Every now and then, I notice Rhince gazing at his daughter but it doesn't last long - not now that the crew are beginning to see things. Green mist surrounds the ship, a few crew members about to jump into the water - the mist trapping them in some kind of trance. Suddenly, a tug on my shirt catches my attention - my gaze drifting from a man beside me to Lucy, furrowing my eyebrows as she looks quite shell-shocked. 

"I sent Gael to her father, we can't protect her as much as he can." 

Nodding slowly, I am about to ask her what she saw when the mist begins to surround me - my bearings slightly loosing themselves as the mist intensifies. Gulping, I watch with wide eyes as the mist turns into a person - someone who looks awfully like Lilliandil, but younger. Beside her, Edmund appears with a sickening grin on his face - his arms wrapped around her waist and holding the girl close. The two share a loving kiss, which sends a jab through my heart - my breathing increasing as I watch them pull apart, both grinning wickedly. 

"Why would I fall for someone like you, when I could have something much better. I mean, you're only a friend - not even a good one at that."

Spluttering in hurt, I wave my hands through the mist - the last thing I hear a sinister cackles that shakes me to my core. I shudder, whispering to myself that it is just the mist - just the mist playing with my mind. Taking a deep breath, I stare at Lucy who sends me a sympathetic nod - as though expressing her understanding to which I am grateful. 

"Lets go see the real Edmund, yeah?"

I nod softly in agreement, knowing that although she couldn't see my hallucination it wouldn't take much to figure it out. Gripping her hand tightly, we weave through the crew that are beginning to act rather irrationally - trying to reach Edmund rather hastily. However, as we reach him, his back is facing us and he is practically shaking - his hands drawn to fists beside his body.  

"NO!"

Jumping at the volume of his voice, I gaze around to see the green mist floating away - no doubt frightening Edmund in the process. As Lucy calls for her brother, he jumps softly - spinning to face us with wide eyes and a pale complexion. He is rather silent, closing his eyes as though to regain control of his breathing - simply shaking his head as an answer to Lucy asking him if he is alright. Opening his eyes, his glance catches mine and he opens his mouth as though to say something but is cut off by a loud voice echoing out. 

"KEEP AWAY! KEEP AWAY!"

The three of us share a confused glance before rushing toward the edge of the boat - along with the rest of the crew. It seems the mist is no longer causing people to hallucinate - for everyone's eyes are wide as we try to search for the strange voice. As it goes eerily quiet once again, I take a deep breath and yell out myself.   

"WHO'S THERE?"

Silence meets my question, oddly deafening in the eerie island - not that I am surprised. Suddenly, my attention is drawn to Caspian as he ushers down from the wheel - his voice belting out in the silence.   

"WE DO NOT FEAR YOU!"

Holding my breath slightly, I hear the strange voice reply back - yelling 'nor I you' in response to Caspian. I share a confused glance with Lucy whom appears just as disorientated as I feel - neither of us quite understanding what is happening. Suddenly, Edmund shines his torch along the shadows of the island - lighting up daggered rocks and black water that line the ship. As the beam of the torch scans the rocks, it comes upon a scruffy looking man with a sword raised at the ready - his eyes wide with madness, his hair wild and clothes ripped to shreds. Something about him seems oddly familiar, but before I can figure it out the man's voice echoes through the shadows.