Chapter 17

Staring at the lilies in slight awe, I wander how something to delicate appeared in the vast ocean

Staring at the lilies in slight awe, I wander how something to delicate appeared in the vast ocean. Then again, Aslan is full of magic and surprises I'm not entirely surprised. A soft breeze winds through the my hair, a sigh of contentment leaving my lips as I close my eyes - letting the cool air brush through my body, drying off the last of the water that had drenched my clothes. Although, with my vest back on the Dawn Treader, it is a lot easier to dry off - Lucy being the one to suggest it before we took off in the long boat. Suddenly, my attention is brought away from the surrounding nature at toward Eustace - the boy finishing his own tale about his own rather strange adventure. As he finishes, Edmund clears his throat - questioning his cousin in pure curiosity. 

"So what was it like? When Aslan changed you back."

Out of the corner of my eye, I notice Eustace thinking for a few moments before shrugging - answering his cousin as best he can.   

"No matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't do it myself. Then he came towards me. It sort of hurt, but it was a good pain. You know, like when you pull a thorn from your foot. Being a dragon wasn't all bad, I mean I think I was a better dragon then I was a boy. I'm so sorry for being such a sod."

I smile down at him as Edmund agrees, the younger boy laughing slightly at the humour. Suddenly, Eustace tilts his head toward my direction - a sorrowful gaze in his eyes.   

"I'm sorry for not treating as though you are family."

I smile softly, a small pang of adoration growing in my heart for the boy - after all, he may have been awful in the beginning, but like us Narnia changed him for the better. I accept his apology but am interrupted by Lucy - my best friend giggling softly beside me.  

"But don't worry Eustace. Sophia will be part of the family soon enough."

Groaning softly, I bury my head in my hands as the teasing commences once again - once again the long boat finding amusement in Edmund and my new relationship. I can hear Lucy babbling on about her dream plan for the two of us, her plan being something that I never knew she had. But it is quite thorough, which means she has been planning it for sometime. Caspian is laughing along with Eustace, the sound making my cheeks flush in pure embarrassment. As I lift my head from my hands, nudging Lucy softly, I notice Edmund looking redder than usual - the tips of his ears a vibrant red, and his freckles highlighted brightly. I open my mouth to say something, wanting nothing more than to avoid all the teasing, but Reepicheap's voice bounces through the air - stopping the comments abruptly.   

"My friends, we have arrived."

Gazing past the mouse, my eyes widen in amazement as a rather large waves stands before us - moving as though it is never ending. Behind the moving water, it looks as though mountains lay beyond but they are quickly covered by the wave. Taking a deep breath, I help push the boat toward the sand - my heartbeat increasing in excitement of the unknown.