Chapter 6

Soft thuds of noise slowly bring me to consciousness - my eyes fluttering open as the world around me beams with light. Its obvious that it is morning, the sound of people somewhere bustling about but my eyes are drawn to the rocks around me - the dungeon rather spacious compared to ones I have previously been in. An abrupt bang from my left causes me to glance in that direction, watching with furrowed eyebrows as Caspian tries to kick a door down. It looks to be sealed from the outside, and made out of metal that doesn't look to break easily. Sighing, I sit up in haste knowing that the longer we stay in here, the worse it is going to get. Only, a sharp pain erupts in my head - causing me to yelp in agony, clutching my head between my hands in try and rid myself of this feeling. Softly, I feel hands pushing me back down onto the ground - forcing me to a lying position which rids the throbbing pain in my head. Gazing around, I notice Edmund kneeling beside me with worry etched onto his face - his eyes wide and lips between his teeth. 

"Don't get up to quickly. One of the men punched you in the back of your head, causing you to pass out."

I hum in acknowledgement before slowly rising from the ground, bracing myself for the pain to erupt once again. Only this time as I sit upward, it is only a slight throb that pulses in my head - which is oddly barrable. I see Caspian looking over to me with worry too, but I simply smile in his direction which seems to satisfy him - the King kicking the door once again. Taking a deep breath, I place my hand on the rocky ground to push myself up - Edmund suddenly grabbing me before I have a chance too, helping me to my feet. I send him a grateful smile, hoping that he can't see the redness of my cheeks in the minimal lighting. I notice the boy opening his mouth to speak, but an old voice bounces off the rocks - scaring me just enough to cause me to jump in surprise.    

"It's no use. You'll never get out."

Sharing a confused glance with both boys, I slowly inch closer to a small darkened cave that is hidden in the corner of the space - the voice booming from its general direction. As Edmund asks who is in here with us, I don't expect to receive an answer - but surprisingly, the voice responds.

"Nobody. Just a voice in my head."

Frowning at his words, I stare at the hidden cave in curiosity - wondering just who is locked away with us. As though he heard my inner mind, an older man with a rather long beard comes hobbling out of the darkness - his face covered in dirt and his clothes practically non-existent. There is something about him that is familiar, but before I have a chance to figure it out I notice Caspian's eyes widening in shock.

"Lord Bern?"

The older man peers up at Caspian, as though pondering in thought - a frown etching itself onto his face but there is a twinkle of wonder in his eyes.  

"Once. Now I am no longer worthy of that title."

As he shrugs and wanders back into his hidden cave, I realise that I have seen his face before - he is one of the drawings that is hung up in Caspian's study. Knowing he is one of the Seven, I realise that perhaps this quest Caspian has set out on is more dangerous than I had originally thought. After all, this man looks as though he has been through something worse than the White Witch - and that is saying something. Suddenly, Lord Bern stops his movements and spin around on his heel - looking up at Caspian in what I can only describe as admiration.   

"Your face. It reminds me of a King I once new."

Caspian smiles softly and kneels before the man, placing a hand softly upon his shoulder and I wonder if the Lord will break if Caspian puts too much pressure on him. 

"That man was my father."

And just like that, Lord Bern gasps and begins muttering all types of apologies - trying to kneel before the King of Narnia. I smile at the sight, finding it oddly sweet despite being trapped in a dungeon that we can't escape from. Suddenly, I feel a tug on my shirt that catches my attention - my focus drawn toward Edmund as he guides me toward a little window above. It has bars in front of it, obviously, but what catches my attention is the sound echoing through - particularly the neighing of a horse. Starting to climb, I ignore the conversation happening between Lord Bern and Caspian - coming to a comfortable position upon the wall. Peering out, I notice a cart full of people being taken - their faces quite scared and their bodies shaking. Toward the back of the cart is a woman whom is holding out her hand for a man to reach for - the man chasing the cart is if his life depends on it. Just as he is able to reach for who I can only presume is his wife, a guard begins attacking him - barely allowing him to grip onto the cart with one hand. Before my very eyes, I see a young girl that can be no young than eleven chasing after the cart - her pink dress flowing behind her due to her speed. I can see hear her screaming out for her mother, but it stops as the man is suddenly punched in the face - falling to the ground in a cloud of dust. The little girl screams once again, gripping tightly onto the man with tears streaming down her face. The husband and wife call out to one another, their gazes never leaving one another as the cart gets further away.