Chapter 8

Jolting awake, I practically groan as the pain in my back aches intensely - the noise floating in the night sky, causing a few crew members to stir in their sleep. Wincing, I carefully try to reach behind me in order to take off my quiver - knowing having it strapped on my back whilst sleeping is probably the cause of my pain. However, just as my hand brushes the strap needed, loud thumps on the ground bounces through the night sky - getting louder and heavier the closer they become. Snapping my eyes shut in hopes of deceiving whatever this thing is, I try and lay as still as possible - struggling as an odd voice echoes throughout the camp sight.

"It seems they brought a pig."

The sound of snoring catches my attention, and I know immediately that it is Eustace - after all, it is in his true nature to always be annoying, particularly when asleep. Suddenly, another gruff voice echoes out - my breath hitching slightly as I realise this camp sight is surrounded by creatures.

"This ones female."

Getting slightly protective over Gael, I make a means to stand up and fight these creatures when a sudden cold chill runs down my spine - a new voice catching my attention, sounding so close if I open my eyes I will likely be staring straight at it.

"So are these two."

Silence fills the air, odd breathing patterns slowly disappearing - the thuds seeming to travel away from myself and Lucy, the young girl sleeping peacefully to my side. However, before the noises can get far enough away, the first voice speaks once again - extremely close to Lucy and I.

"Look. These two read."

Realising that the creature is gesturing to the book laying between Lucy and I, I become slightly confused. We had brought the book on shore to see if we could find anything remotely about this island - but it seems as if this island doesn't exist. And now I know why, these creatures no doubt having something to do with it. All of a sudden, my attention is drawn toward a new voice which seems slightly more assertive than the last few - scaring me ever so slightly.

"Let's take them."

Before I have time to understand what the voice truly means, I am lifted up into the air my rough hands - my arms stuck in the grasp. I yelp and surprise and snap my eyes open, trying to get a good look at the creature in which are kidnapping Lucy and I - only the words get stuck in my throat. The creatures that are holding me tight are invisible - leaving only large footprints behind, the only indication that they are real. Struggling against the tight grip, I try to escape but it only seems to make the hold me tighter. Out of the corner of my eye, I notice Lucy now wide awake - fighting against what appears to be the air, but I know the grip on her is just as tight as the one on me. Her eyes are wide with panic, and she looks just as frantic as I feel - wanting to escape this situation extremely fast. As we appear in an open space in among a bundle of trees and much further from the beach than I would like, I begin hitting the creatures with all my might. However, it doesn't last very long for I am dropped to the ground - landing awkwardly with a thud, and falling on my behind. Scrambling to stand, I'm rather glad I have my quiver still attached to me - my hands flaying behind me to grab my bow and an arrow. Just as I aim an arrow around the open space, trying to find an indication of where these creatures are standing, my loaded bow is flung from my hands - landing with a crash on the ground to my right. I also notice Lucy's dagger flying past me, landing beside me bow perfectly. Without thinking, I usher toward my weapon only to be knocked backward - landing with another thud on the hard ground. A groan emits from my lips as I hesitantly stand up, pulling Lucy up as well - the two of us huddling together as I gaze around with wide eyes.

"There is no escape."

I yelp as a gruff voice echoes out, the authority in his voice shaking me to my core. A murmur of agreeing voices ripple around Lucy and I, causing me to gulp as I realise we are surrounded by these creatures. Suddenly, I hear Lucy take an awfully shaky breath before speaking in a soft tone.