Chapter 16

Watching with wide eyes as the serpent attacks the mast, I dodge a few flying pieces of sail and wood being thrown in my direction. All around me I can tell the crew are becoming restless, unsure how to fight a creature such as this. As though also understanding this, I hear Edmund sigh in desperation. 

"We have to get in closer."

Without waiting for a response, the boy charges for the sea serpent - the last thing I notice before he blends in with the crew are his determined eyes. Groaning softly, I peer up at Caspian who is directing a few lost crew members - shaking my head ever so slightly.   

"Why did you have to set out find to the Seven Lords?"

I hear the King let out a sarcastic laugh before he begins yelling out toward the remaining crew - telling them to ready the harpoons. As the men around me begin preparing the weapons, I catch something swinging in the air - clutching tightly to a rope attached to the slowly disappearing mast. Peering closer with furrowed eyebrows, I gasp in shock as I see Edmund landing on the lookout post - the sword in his hands gripped tight. Before I can open my mouth to yell for him to be careful, Caspian catches my attention by asking me to load my own bow - myself quickly doing as he says whilst still slightly worrying about the boy up above. Taking a deep breath, I aim my weapon at the creature - just as Caspian's voice echoes out through the ship.   

"READY! NOW!"

And just like that, I begin shooting my arrows continuously at the sea serpent - each hitting the body directly, cutting off a few arms in the process. Out of the corner of my eye, I notice the harpoons pulling the serpent closer to the ship - causing the creature to shriek as it struggles to escape. While still shooting my golden arrows, I slide my gaze to the mast once again - a sharp intake of breath surprising me as I see Edmund directly in front of the sea serpent. Suddenly, he is thrown to his feet as the creature is jolted forward by the harpoons - a small gasp escaping my lips.  

"Don't move it any closer otherwise Ed will fall."

I utter, not caring for the suggestive gaze a few crew members give me - after all, they would be as sharp if it had of been one of their loved ones up there. Caspian, however, nods in acknowledgement - releasing the harpoon ever so slightly. Smiling tightly in appreciation, I shoot a few more arrows toward the serpent - feeling slightly better as it screams out in agony, meaning it is no longer stronger than us. However, my attention is once again drawn toward the mast as I catch a glimpse of green - my eyes widening as I notice an amount of mist circling Edmund. Only, it has formed the face of the White Witch - her cold eyes glaring at the boy, and I know immediately that this has been the hallucination Edmund has been seeing for weeks. Huffing in realisation, I panic as Edmund lowers his sword - his face becoming slightly stoic and pale. Beside me, I can hear Caspian yelling out to the boy but either Edmund doesn't hear nor care, for he approaches the mist with his arm outstretched. Taking a deep breath, I cup my hands around my mouth and shout at the top of my lungs.   

"EDMUND! DON'T LISTEN TO HER!"

Its as though he is jolted out of a trance, for he glances down at me with furrowed eyebrows. I make a move to yell more encouraging words, but before I can one of the harpoons snaps. The serpent is beginning to break free, and it rocks the boat in celebration at one less restriction on its body. The movements, however, cause myself and the crew to tumble around - myself almost falling overboard if it Caspian hadn't of grabbed me just in time. Sending him an appreciative glance, I gaze back up at Edmund only to gasp in awe. The sword in Edmund's hand is glowing a bright blue - a blue that oddly reminds me of Lilliandil and Aslan's table. Knowing Aslan himself probably has something to do with this, he always does, I share a knowing gaze with Caspian - just as he yells out to Edmund one last time.