Chapter Ten

He sits on the bed with his head down, facing the floor while he fiddles with his fingers. I approach him cautiously, knowing that this morning had an effect on him.

Hearing me, he looks up and straightens. I see his mind in work, a mask slipping over his face and his emotions.

I lean against the doorframe, not wanting to overcrowd his space, as I ask, "How are you?"

A weak smile grows on his lips, but falls away. "Good," he replies nonchalantly. He remains silent, but his eyes speak to me.

Since arriving, he swiftly spoke to Erick before hiding in our bedroom. Wanting him to have his peace, I distanced myself from him. But as night creeps in, so does my burdening of questions.

"Are you OK?" he asks me, returning to the conversation and away from his thoughts. His eyes remain stuck on mine.

Nodding, I answer, "Yes. I'm just glad you're safe." Detaching his eyes away from me, he resumes looking at the ground, leaning forward and resting his elbows on his knees.

"I don't know what to do," he mutters. Turning his head to me, he glances for my reaction before facing away.

"About what?" I push, stepping closer to him.

"You," he answers. "I don't want to drag you into everything, hence why I never told you where I was in the beginning."

I crouch in front of him, in between the gap of his legs. Taking his gripped hands into mine, I say, "We talk about these things, Justin. You don't decide it for me."

"You're too stubborn to listen," he admits with a small chuckle, moving his gaze to me. I feel his hands rest in mine as the corner of his lips go into a line.

"Only if you're being ridiculous," I joke.

"I can't stay here anymore," he admits. "It's too dangerous for everyone, especially you. I don't want to drag you into my troubles."

"What happened to you being excited about having me beside you for the journey?" I ask. "I knew what I was getting into when I made Anna take me to the warehouse to meet you."

"Now that you've had a taste of what it means to be with me, are you sure you want to be with someone who has to always look behind themselves constantly, just to feel safe?" He pulls his hands out my grip, standing up and moving to the wall opposite the bed.

Following, I stand and turn to him. "You told me last night that we'll get out of here, to another country and start fresh. Now you're saying you'll never feel safe?"

"What makes you think that I will? Sure, we move to another country, but sooner or later the police will catch up to me, no matter if we're in another place with different laws," he rants. Leaning against the white wall, he watches me as I feel my hands shake.

"So, that's it? You escape prison, to reclaim power and run your business again, and only that? What is the point in that, Justin? We have another shot at us again, to rebuild a possible future — with our son now, too."

"You know I didn't only get out of there for power, Selena. Don't you dare twist my intentions. It was always you; I've done this for you. Yes, having my business and the power again are also the plan, but you're always first," he snaps.

"What are you saying, then? Because not less than two minutes ago, you were demanding how I shouldn't be involved with you," I argue.

"It's for your sake, Selena! I'm looking out for you," he insists. "I don't want you to make a decision where you have to be careful about your every move, or a life you regret choosing. I'm giving you the option, right now, to pick what you want. I'm giving you the chance to leave."