Chapter Twenty

Storming away, Nick darts straight for the door and looks through the peephole. Turning away, he peers out the window by the couch and examines for any sign of Justin. While he searches, I ask Erick, "What did he say?"

"Nothing that tells us where he is or if he's here. He said he'll handle us later, but in the meantime to leave otherwise we're in the way of his plans," he reveals, staring at his phone as if waiting for a call back from Justin.

"In the way? Does that mean he plans to come here?" I question, wanting and hoping desperately for Erick to know the answers somehow, but with a helpless stare, he shrugs.

"What else?" Nick chimes in, moving away from the window and reaching for his untouched glass of whiskey on the counter, tipping the liquid into his mouth. Slamming the glass down, now empty, he pushes, "Shouldn't you guys get going now?"

"We have a deal, Nick. You speak to Justin and I'll make sure he doesn't snap. I plan to keep my end of things, will you?" Erick demands, striding to Nick in the kitchen, standing so close that I can't comprehend the shift of power.

"Go on. Keep your end of things, but I won't be a puppy in a field. I will defend myself," Nick sneers, straightening himself as I step closer to them.

Turning away, Erick reaches for his phone and, for the last time, calls Justin. Without an answer, Erick mutters, "I am staying where I am. We need to sort this out, Justin." Ending the voicemail, he slides his phone into his pocket and faces Nick and I. "I'll see you off, Selena," he signals to me as he heads towards the door.

"No, I'm staying here. It makes sense for me to stay here," I explain, glancing between them, wanting to see Nick agree with me as he stands beside me, but instead he nods his head to Erick.

"I don't think it's a good idea, Sel. Him seeing me is one thing, but having you next to me will make things worse," Nick reveals, smiling apologetically before approaching Erick by the door.

"Really?" I question, gesturing to them. Nick nods while Erick goes out of view, the noise of the door opening following suit. Copying, I meet Erick at the door as he tails behind me to the lift. Hearing Nick's door shut behind us, I watch Erick as he enters the lift.

Stepping inside, he reveals, "I can only imagine the betrayal Justin feels right now, and that's what hurting me the most. Knowing what I'm doing is right, but feels the opposite. Do you see where I'm coming from?"

Once we're two floors down from Nick's, I reply, "I do. But your approach is the worst. Deeming I'm not worthy for Justin for hiding my past relationship with Nick, to you now hiding your present one makes me laugh."

When the doors slide open, I exit as Erick copies in silence. At the final doors to the apartment complex, we slow down to a halt. "I agree. I just hope you forgive me," he pleads, watching as his overgrown hair falls into his face, hiding the way his eyes are begging for mercy.

But I can't.

He nearly ruined the thing that made me feel alive and loved, hopeful and in love. He nearly ruined everything Justin and I mended to revive our lost relationship, to the people who didn't care about us. To nearly lose all of that to someone who thinks it's their power makes me not want to forgive him, but as I see his hands shake and eyes break away from mine in fear, I try to make myself see his view.

Even if I don't want to, heaving this weight off his shoulders will help him more than I know rather than to just keep my anger. Nodding, he smiles gently before opening the door for me, allowing me to leave.

Just as I step outside, a black Range Rover swerves onto the pavement that links to the building.

A door swings open as Erick stands beside me, watching the one person we don't want to be here storm towards us. "I hope this is worth it all!" Justin screams while pointing to the tall building we stand under, presumably to Nick's window.