Chapter Nineteen

"You want me to keep this meeting a secret?" I rephrase.

Nick nods enthusiastically with a grin, while Erick steps forward. "Not for long, no. I wouldn't want you to do that, but only until Justin calms down."

"He had the night to calm down. It didn't change much," I answer, desperately trying to make sense of the situation unfolding. Erick steps closer to me, further from Nick where he continues to smile, further from making any sense.

"One night won't do it. You should know that, Selena. He holds grudges and will never let it go. That is until it comes to you. He never seems to stay mad with you," Erick concludes frantically. "I'm not here against Justin, but here for him."

"You're seriously saying that?" I spit, glancing to Nick. He remains ineffective, as if seeing Erick is an everyday activity, as if this is no importance. Noticing my stare, he stands up and crosses his arms.

"I'm here to make sure Nick doesn't make any choices to worsen things. That's all."

"That's all? Simple as that? Explain to me where Justin currently is, or where he believes you to be?"

"He's at the warehouse," he answers. "And I'm at home, where Anna is unwell. And you will vouch for me."

"The warehouse," I repeat, trying to breathe in all the information. "So why was Justin at your house in the morning?"

"He was?" Erick looks to Nick, trying to communicate that this wasn't planned. Nick walks away, to the kitchen and to the same cupboard that holds his whiskey.

"Nick!" I call, wanting him to remain where he is while I try to understand everything, desperate for his calm.

Turning to us with a half filled cup in his hand, he explains, "I don't know what you expect me to say. Justin wasn't where he was suppose to be, unsurprisingly, and he probably still isn't there. Let's just say we should expect a knock soon."

Erick changes his direction and walks to Nick, evident that he wants to ease him before he gets angry. "We'll figure this out, Nick. I'll find out where he is," he offers, grabbing his phone out of pocket and quickly dialling Justin's number.

"Erick," Nick calls, stopping Erick from placing his phone to his ear, "I told you before: this isn't going to work."

Erick shakes his head, refusing to believe and lose any hope that this rivalry between the two will not calm, and instead pushes his phone against his ear, listening to it ring.

While he anxiously waits, he removes himself and goes by the window, glancing out of it as if Justin will come by anytime soon. Looking to Nick, he smiles gently at me when he realises my stare, placing his cup onto the counter beside him.

"What won't work?" I question quietly, only for Nick to hear and for Erick to ignore.

"Anything with Justin," he answers. "Relationships, fixing fights and trying to solve things," he hints, smirking daringly at me before stepping closer, to the couch that separates us and past Erick by the window.

"It can. He just needs extra time for these things," I add.

"He had many, many years. Somehow we still remain enemies." He steps around the couch, shortening the gap between him and I.

"Well, whatever happened between you two must've really left a scar," I explain, wanting him to understand that Justin isn't the enemy, but someone who hardly trusts and treats the people in his life with his whole heart, and whoever misuses his weakness against him will forever be against him.

"It did. But it did on the both of us, Selena. I was effected as much as him."

"What happened, Nick?" I ask, desperation forming in my voice and eyes. I'm tired of not being told anything, but expected to understand. Nick sees this, though. He sees that I've been through enough mentally, sees that I've been isolated for a long time, sees that all I want to do is help and love wholeheartedly.