Chapter Twelve

Nandos had just gotten back to the palace. She was so happy to see a familiar building for once. As she was about to roam around; Bob growled and grabbed her by the collar with his teeth. Fitzgerald noticed this and leaned down.

"Why, it's our missing little feline."

Nandos growled and Fitzgerald laughed. "But with an attitude, oh yes. . . I never liked cats. Hmm, what's this?" He grabbed the the piece of paper that was attached to Nandos's collar. "Madame Carp's Bakery? Maybe it's the answer to our mystery."

***

Fitzgerald headed into the village to go to Madame Carp's Bakery. He had stuffed little Nandos in the satchel attached to the horse so no one could find her at the palace. Once he got there, he hopped off and went up to the window. He looked through it to see if he can spot anything peculiar.

Nandos kept meowing in the bag; wanting to get out. Luckily, Hervé the horse was nearby and heard the constant meowing. He walked over to the other horse and used his mouth to open the satchel. Nandos popped out and purred, "Thanks Hervé. Oh no, my prince!"

She saw Fitzgerald looking around and ran out to the back. Unfortunately, Fitzgerald noticed this and followed her. He unlocked a door and Niall was inside. He sighed thankfully. "Fitzgerald, you found my note!"

Nandos hopped up on the table and hissed at him. Niall looked down at his kitty, confused. "Nandos, what's gotten into you?"

"Come quickly, prince," Fitzgerald said, grabbing his wrist. "You can tell me everything on the way to the castle."

"But first I-"

"No time," he interrupted Niall, pulling him out of the room.

A few moments later, Bert came back holding a tray of freshly-baked cupcakes. He looked around frowned; noticing the now-open door. "Prince Niall?"

***

Once they arrive to their destination, Niall noticed this was not the castle at all. That's when it all clicked. . . he finally knew what had happened. . . why he was kidnapped. . . it was all so clear.

"You were behind this!"

Fitzgerald laughed evilly and smirked. "Very clever planting a double; you almost had me fooled. But, it wasn't quite clever enough. Checkmate! I win."

He grabbed his wrist again and pulled him inside the small lodge. Niall called out after Nandos and she meowed, quickly following. Hervé had followed them as well and noticed what had happened. He wanted to help. . . but how?

Fitzgerald shoved Niall to the ground and he grunted. Cannon and Melon were pleased to see the prince had returned. Melon snickered and said, "Nice to see you again, Your Highness!"

Niall winced and got back up on his feet. He now had dust all over his suit. "I don't understand, why would you do this?"

"To be king," Fitzgerald replied simply.

"And how would you get to be king?" Niall shot back.

"Still underestimating me? Isn't that just like a royal."

Fitzgerald laughed and Cannon said, "He was going to marry you."

"What?!"

"But now he's got a new person, a bride, in mind," Melon added.

"Your mother is a very handsome woman," Fitzgerald mentioned.

They carried Niall to another room and shoved him in. Niall saw someone sitting there with his hands tied up. . . but he recognized him.

"ZAYN!"

"Niall!"

He ran over and began untying the ropes around Zayn's hands. Fitzgerald smirked and said, "How sad they'll be when they discover you died in a tragic accident."

"They'll never give up looking for the prince," Zayn argued. "Never!"

"They will, once I show them this."

Fitzgerald was holding Niall's ring that was attached to Nandos's collar with the note. He laughed evilly once more before shutting the door and locking it. With that, he went outside and sat down in his horse carriage while his minions were axing the mine.

Once Niall undid the rope, Zayn got up and tried opening the door. Of course, it wouldn't open because it was locked.

"We have to stop him!"

Back outside, Fitzgerald noticed that Cannon and Melon were axing fairly slow. He groaned; he didn't have time for this! "Put some muscle into it!"

The men hit the axes harder and suddenly, the mine began to collapse. They quickly ran out and hopped on the carriage as the entrance to the mine was now blocked by rocks. Fitzgerald yanked on the leash and the horse, Hervé, was forced to start galloping away; leaving his new friend behind.

Niall and Zayn heard the commotion and that's when they realized what Fitzgerald meant about dying there. They had absolutely no way out.