Hero

Yeah
I'm no superman, I can't take your hand
And fly you anywhere you wanna' go, yeah
I can't read your mind, like a billboard sign
And tell you everything you want to hear but,
I'll be your hero

"Hiya, I'm Kwan, the kwami of the phoenix miraculous"

"AAAAAHHHH"

"Wait, Wait, Wait!" The tiny creature covered your mouth, stopping you from screaming. "No one can know about me but you"

"(y/n), sweetie," You heard your mother call, "Are you alright?"

"Yeah" You answered as the kwami let go of your mouth. "A bird just flew at the window, that's all"

"Okay"

You continued to stare at the creature. Just what was this thing? The small little bird-like animal stared back at you, smiling. "If you're thinking about what I am, I just told you. I'm a kwami for the phoenix miraculous"

"What the hell does that mean?" You sat down on your bed. Wait. Miraculous. "Is this related to Ladybug and Chat Noir? Are you like the thing that gives them their powers?"

"Yup" She perked. "That pendant you have there on your neck is the phoenix miraculous. I served your family for many years. Believe me when I say that I am more than relieved to be finally out and about"

You smiled as Kwan stretched her little firey body. She may have surprised you, but she sure is a cute little thing. She finished stretching and flew toward your pillow, continuing to talk. "Anyway, you're now my master and are going to have to work with Ladybug and Chat Noir - even if they don't quite like me"

She mumbled the last part. You rubbed your eyes, shaking your head - making sure you weren't hearing and seeing things. "Wait - master? You mean, I'm going to have powers now?"

"Yup" She chirped. "The moment you say 'flames out' - don't say it just yet - I enter the miraculous and you transform into a hero. Your ancestors named us the Phoenix - creative, I know. You have a one-time use power called Incinerate - which means that once you use it, you run out of time and de-transform. I'm going to constantly need to eat to refuel myself. The miraculous enhances all of your abilities; strength, sight, agility, all that stuff. I'm actually one of the oldest kwamis out there, making me stronger than the ladybug and chat noir kwamis but they're the favored ones".

"Okay, that is a lot of information you just barfed out so you're going to have to say that slower next time" You sat down on your bed. "You mumbled about them not liking you. Why?"

"You heard that?" Kwan yawned. "Well, that's a story for another time. Now, do you have any meat? I'm starving."

"Meat?" You raised a brow.

"Yeah. I'm a huge carnivore" She grinned. You rolled your eyes and got up. Going downstairs, you expected Kwan to stay hidden up in your room but she followed you. Lucky for you, your parents had already gone to bed. You opened the fridge and let Kwan choose whatever meat she wanted. "Oooo chicken"

Her eyes went big as she drooled over the leftovers. You smiled and took it out to serve her. As you did so, you began to wonder if you had to constantly give her chicken. Great. You'll be going to have to carry chicken meat around every day. You looked back at Kwan, eyes widening as you saw her devour all of the leftovers in a few seconds. Do you have to follow suit with this whole hero thing?

"So... do I have to actually do this?" Kwan looked up at you. "I mean, we could just hang out and not do this hero stuff. Or I could give -"

"Don't even think about it." You noticed Kwan glaring at you. She flew to stare at you at eye level. "Your ancestors and I made a pact. We never once broke it, even if I was not needed. Otherwise, I would have just suggested that myself. Plus, I'm sure your grandmother would be heartbroken to hear that you gave the prized family possession away to some random stranger"

You gulped under the tiny creature's glare. She may be tiny but she sure is frightening. You held your hands up in surrender. "Okay, okay. I get it. We'll be heroes, but I'm not promising anything"

"Duly noted" She flew back up to your room. You let out a deep sigh. Wow, this is tiring. 

-----

You never thought you were going to need to use the miraculous at all. Paris already has heroes. They have Ladybug and Chat Noir. Sure, there's Rena Rouge, Carapace, and Queen Bee but they only show up when Ladybug says so. There's no need for you. Kwan was a bit upset that you were doing nothing heroic for weeks, but she eventually accepted to go at your own pace. It is a lot to take in. 

But then it happened. Stormy Weather came back. Unlike before, she became stronger. She was making the distance of the Sun to the Earth greater, causing it to freeze. You were walking to the Couffaines when it happened. Your friends were already there, Ruben being at his boyfriend's house. You watched the river freeze, the ice slowly beginning to cover up the Couffaine's ship. 

Luka knew that you were already on your way, and went out to find you. You just reached around the corner when you spotted Luka across the street. He called out your name, not noticing you nor a hanging house plant that was about to fall on his head (the rope breaking due to the cold). With how freezing it is, you knew that you wouldn't be able to move that fast. Without hesitating, you muttered "Flames out"

Kwan flew into your pendant. The top of your outfit turned into a dark red-orange turtleneck leotard with long baggy sleeves, the black collar formed around your neck, the pendant showing on your chest. The bottom formed into black leggings and thigh-high red boots replaced your own shoes. A yellow utility belt wrapped around your hips - two black sais rested on each side. Your combed (h/c) hair became undone as a red-orange mask formed around your eyes, while two gigantic fire wings formed on your back. 

You flew up into the sky, diving down at what felt like the speed of light, and grabbed the house plant. Luka instinctively ducked at the motion of your wings. He felt a large wave of heat cover him, heating him up instantly. Looking up, he only saw a silhouette of a girl with wings that were on fire. His eyes widen. It took him a few seconds before he shook his head and continued to search for you. 

You flew down at a nearby alleyway. "Flames in"

You de-transformed as Kwan flew back out, the pendant returning to its spot on the choker. You took in a deep breath. The rush of the cold wind still fresh in your mind. It felt liberating. It felt like you were dancing. It was amazing. You grinned at Kwan. "Maybe I'll take a shot in this hero thing"

"I told you" She smirked. You shook your head, still smiling, and ran toward the sound of Luka's voice. Kwan flew into your bag, laughing.